Pinterest has really taken off in last few years but in 2013 it really pulled off and joined the league of the Top Social Media channels i.e Facebook and Google which is spectacular for a website which is yet to generate a revenue from the website.
What was considered as a website for sharing and curating wedding pictures and recipes have now emerged as a major contender in social media space, particularly in the eCommerce and retail business. Studies have shown that Pinterest now commands upwards of 41 percent of e-commerce traffic from social networking sites, and the average Pinterest user has a household income of more than $100,000 per annum leaving behind other channels and becoming the most profitable website for social media marketing when it comes to ROI.
How lucrative have those visual pinboards been? Well, the average e-commerce order placed by a Pinterest user is $179. Compare that to $80 for Facebook and $69 for Twitter, and you can easily notice that there’s money to be made.
If that fact wasn’t enough to convince you of the power of Pinterest, Omnicore has designed this Infographic.
Recommended for YouWebcast: The Art of Growth Hacking: Gaining Early Traction by Doing Things that Don't Scale
- It’s been estimated that 47% of online shoppers in the U.S. have made a purchase based on a recommendation via Pinterest.
- Pinterest grabs about 41% of e-commerce traffic, Facebook is at 37%.
- Unique monthly visitors: 25 million. By comparison, Facebook was 4th of all U.S. websites with over 150 million; LinkedIn ranked 26th with 39.6 million; and Twitter was 27th with roughly 37 million.
- Pinterest now generates over 400% more revenue per click over Twitter and 27% more than Facebook.
- As of July 2013, the total number of Pinterest users worldwide is 70 million.
- Pins that also include prices will receive 36% more likes than those which do not.
- Shopify Customers that have been referred by Pinterest will place an average order of $80. It’s only $40 for customers from Facebook.
- Users will spend 4.5 more time on Pinterest than Linkedin.
- There are 2.5 million monthly Pinterest pageviews.
- Out of the 20 million active users worldwide, 79% are from the U.S.
- Users worldwide: 70 million.
- The most popular pin categories are crafts, recipes and quotes. Other popular categories are wedding and fashion.
- ⅗ of boards are food related. In fact, in the U.S., 72% of consumers are more likely to share recipes on Pinterest than on Twitter or Facebook.
- The average user will spend just over 15 minutes on Pinterest per visit. Facebook users spend about 12 minutes, while Twitter users spend about 3 minutes.
- 93% of Pinterest users are women. Since half the world is female, this a huge market.
- The main demographic of Pinterest users are between the ages of 25 and 34, followed by the 35 to 44 age bracket.
- Pinterest is the 16th most visited website in the United States.
- Pinterest is most popular in the United States, followed by Canada, the UK and Australia.
- International traffic in 2013 has grown 125%.
- 25% of Fortune Global 100 companies are on Pinterest.
- 90% of US online specialty retailers use Pinterest; that’s an 81% increase since 2012.
- The average US Pinterest user follows an average of 9 retailers on the site.
- Pinterest has reached 10 million users in 1/3 of the time it took Twitter to do the same.
- Pinterest users are well off. The average Pinterest user has a household income of over $100,000 per year. 10% of users have a household income under $30,000.
- 50% of US moms who use Pinterest would follow a brand if rewards were offered to them.
- 81% of U.S. women online trust Pinterest as a reliable source for information and advice.
- Over 80% of Pins are Repins.
- Americans share content on Pinterest 3 times more often on mobile devices than compared to desktop computers.
- Tutorials, Guides and & DIY Pins see a 42% higher click through rate.
- Pinterest activity peaks at approximately 9 p.m., compared to approximately 11 a.m. for Facebook and Twitter. However, the best time to post on Pinterest is on a Saturday morning.