Adam Mosseri, Head of Instagram, wrote in his recent press release about the update of Instagram home screen :
“At Instagram, our focus has always been on young people and creators because they’re trendsetters. Change is happening quickly right now, including how both of these groups use Instagram and engage with the world.
We don’t take these changes lightly – we haven’t updated Instagram’s home screen in a big way for quite a while. But how people create and enjoy culture has changed, and the biggest risk to Instagram is not that we change too fast, but that we don’t change and become irrelevant.”
Instagram is chasing a young audience and the main reason why Instagram does this is that the entire young audience is hooked on TikTok.
HypeAuditor have analyzed the top 50 Instagram and TikTok accounts by the number of followers and discovered some interesting findings those want to share with you.
- Instagram top 50 accounts have 5.5 Billion followers in total and TikTok top 50 accounts have 1.6 Billion followers in total. Top Instagram accounts have 3.9 times more followers than top TikTok acounts.
- TikTok top 50 accounts core audience are people between 13-24 years old (77.25%). Instagram top 50 core audience are people between 18-34 years old(76.89%).
- This year Instagram celebrated its tenth anniversary. It’s no surprise that it’s top influencers managed to make 4 times more posts than TikTok influencers.
- Despite the fact that the total audience of top Instagram influencers is 3.9 times larger than TikTok influencers, posts of TikTok influencers get on average more comments than posts of Instagram influencers. Followers of TikTok influencers are more active and engaged in influencers content.
- The Top TikTok influencer is, on average, 11 years younger than the Top Instagram influencer. Among the top 50 Instagram influencers, only one is under the age of 21 (@billieeilish), and among the top TikTok influencers there are 21 influencers under the age of 21.
*among top TikTok accounts there are accounts from India who were banned by Indian government. We did not take them into account when calculating average likes and comments
Discuss This Article
Add a New Comment /Reply
Thanks for adding to the conversation!
Our comments are moderated. Your comment may not appear immediately.