With all the predictions about the future of work, we are constantly painting a picture of how the future workplace will look. But, what most of us should focus on is what the workforce will need to look like – meaning, what skills employees need to have to ensure continued success into the next decade?
The Top 10 Online Colleges website has the answer. They’ve done the research and compiled a list of skills that all employees will need by 2020 (which is only six years away!) and the drivers of the new skill set.
First, we must understand what is driving change and molding the future of work.
The six key drivers of change include:
- Extreme longevity: People are living longer.
- The rise of smart machines and systems: Tech will augment and extend our own capabilities.
- Computational world: There will be an increase in sensors and processing that will make the world a programmable system.
- New media ecology: There will be new communication tools that will require media literacies beyond text.
- Superstructured organizations: Social technologies will drive new forms of production and value creation.
- Globally connected world: Diversity and adaptability will be at the center of operations.
Because of these global changes and technology being the catalyst for many of these forces, the future work skills we will all need in 2020 are a combination of changing how we act and think, and how we use technology as an extension of our daily lives – even more than we do today.
Recommended for YouWebcast: Turning Your Website Into a Lead Generation Machine
So what are the skills you should be working on today to ensure you’ll have a job tomorrow?
- Sense making
- Social intelligence
- Novel and adaptive thinking
- Cross-cultural competency
- Computational thinking
- New media literacy
- Design mindset
- Cognitive load management
- Virtual collaboration
Read more about how each drive relates to the skill and what that skill really means in the below infographic.