You might say it’s too early for 2013 predictions. But did you know that July is the month when the retail industry starts to plan their Christmas season. They also start to look at what they will do in the forthcoming year depending on how big or small their business is (develop budgets, plan projects, set goals, ect..).
In March of 2012, experts predicted how mobile web usage will impact the way how we do business in the future, and it’s going to be big people so get ready!
In a Westminster eForum event (participated by David Dyson, CEO of Three UK, Ian Carrington of Google, Paul Morris of Vodafone, and many other experts) they presented some Internet stats to show that mobile Internet usage is increasing fast. Also there was a study released by Pew Research Center indicating that more and more consumers are using their cellphones to access the Internet.
Let’s take a look at the Internet stats discussed on the Westminster eForum event and the study released by Pew Research Center for mobile web usage.
- A sale coming from mobile phones on eBay comes every 2 seconds.
- Smartphone sales have become bigger than PC sales.
- 28% of Internet usage comes from a mobile phone.
- 19% of search queries in the travel industry come from mobile Internet usage. In 2011, it was only 11%.
- In the retail industry, 16% of search queries come from mobile web usage. It was only 10% in 2011.
- In 2011, 10% of search queries in the entertainment industry come from mobile. It has gone up to 19% by 2012.
- Mobile web usage took 50% of sales related to Mother’s Day in 2012.
- 38% of UK tablet owners spend more of their time on their device than watching TV.
- Search queries from tablet increased by 23% after Christmas day.
- There were a total of $241 billion mobile transactions in 2011.
- 86% of adults own a mobile phone.
- 53% of adult cellphone owners use it to access the Internet.
- A majority of respondents use their mobile phone to access the Internet since it’s more convenient to use and they always carry it with them everywhere they go.
Most small businesses haven’t even thought of creating a mobile presence for their business. Some of the reasons are:
- They haven’t realized how consumers are changing the way they are purchasing nowadays.
- Most small business owners do not understand how mobile marketing works.
- They are simply not aware that to be effective in mobile marketing, they will have to get their regular website optimized and make it a mobile friendly website.
*TIP: If you manage a businesses website, setup Google Analytics for mobile traffic and show them how many people are accessing their website through their mobile phones.
As mobile developers or small business owners we can help these businesses learn about the new technology that can change their business. With statistics like these, it’s impossible for them to say no to the mobile solution you’re offering!
Interesting to see how much mobile presence can boost a small business!
Lois it’s a great market to get into. Even if you aren’t a mobile web/app designer you can find great people to outsource the work to. Small business will really want this once they understand and see the statistics.