With the best free project management software, you can track the progress of your projects, manage budgets and resources, and ensure the timely and on-budget delivery of each project without spending a cent. With all that said, finding one that best suits you, your team, or your business is no easy feat.
For this post, we’ve sourced, ranked, and reviewed the best free project management software — from Monday.com to ClickUp and Teamwork; there’s a tool on this list for every need and preference. Read on to compare your best options and find the tool that’ll help you best stay organized for your next projects.
Our Pick for the Best Free Project Management Software: Monday.com
Of all the available options to choose from, we’ve rated Monday.com as the best free project management software for 2023. It’s intuitive and easy to use, making it perfect for team collaboration.
Plus, its powerful features make it a great choice for managing even the most complex projects. One of the most important factors to look out for is how easy it is to communicate with your team.
Monday.com has a great tagging system that lets you add labels to tasks, as well as assign them to specific team members. This makes it easy for everyone on the team to see what they need to do and when it needs to be done.
Monday.com also offers a ton of great features for managing projects. You can create custom workflows, track time spent on tasks, and even set deadlines. Plus, you can export your data into a variety of formats for further analysis.
Overall, Monday.com is an excellent choice for free project management software. It’s easy to use and packed with powerful features, making it perfect for any team.
The Best Free Project Management Software
Based on criteria like free plans, trials, user reviews, scalability, and free functionality, we’ve ranked the market’s top 10 best free PM tools according to the results:
- Monday.com– Best Free Project Management Software for 2023
- ClickUp– Top Free Project Management Software
- Teamwork– Project Management Free Software For Remote Teams
- Asana – Project Management Software Free For Small Teams
- Podio – Best Project Management Software Free Download
- Trello – Best Kanban Board Interface
- nTask– Best Free Project Management Tool For Multiple Projects Creation
- MeisterTask– Best Visual Project Management Software
- Freedcamp– Free Project Management Software With Powerful Features
- Toggl Plan– Best Project Management Software for Free with Time Tracking
Free Project Management Software – Compared
Let’s take a look at each platform in more detail so you can make an informed decision about which one is best for your needs.
1. Monday.com – Best Free Project Management Software for 2023
Monday.com, a project management platform with HR and IT features, allows you to make team member status updates so that your remote and flexible teams are aware of each other’s schedules. It enables you to quickly access project updates so that nothing slips through the cracks.
- Workflow Customization: Monday.com offers a high degree of customizability, so you can tailor the platform to your team’s specific needs.
- Task Management: Monday.com makes it easy to track and manage tasks so that no detail is overlooked.
- HubSpot Integration: Monday.com integrates with HubSpot, providing users with a more comprehensive view of their projects and marketing efforts.
- HR Tools Available
- Flexible and Customizable
- Alerts and Reminders
- Limited free features
Starts at $8 per user per month
2. ClickUp – Best Overall Free Project Management Software
ClickUp is a robust project management software application that allows you to organize and complete all of your team’s tasks in one place.
You may plan projects, schedule tasks, organize project requirements, assign resources in a single workspace, and also communicate and interact with team members and clients, whether you’re a small business or a huge organization.
- Task Management: Easily create, assign, and manage tasks with Gantt charts and Kanban boards.
- File Sharing: Upload and share files with teammates, clients, or the public.
- Comments & Notifications: Get real-time updates on project progress and collaborate more easily with team members and clients.
- Offers Mobile App
- The interface is very user-friendly
- The software is completely free to use
- It can be a little overwhelming for beginners
Paid Plan for storage upgrade starts at $5 per user per month
3. Teamwork – Project Management Free Software For Remote Teams
Teamwork is a collaboration and project management software that keeps in-house and remote teams organized and productive. You can effortlessly upload files, assign tasks and deadlines, and communicate with coworkers on each project.
You may help minimize additional miscommunication and missed deadlines by organizing your project information.
- HubSpot Integration: Teamwork integrates with HubSpot to make it easy to track leads, contacts, and deals from your Teamwork projects.
- Instant Messenger: Talk to coworkers instantly with the Teamwork chat client.
- Time Tracking: Keep track of how much time is being spent on each task.
- Easy to navigate
- Excellent collaboration features
- Integrates with HubSpot
- Limited reporting capabilities
Starts at $10 per user per month
4. Asana – Project Management Software Free for Small Teams
Probably one of the best free online project management platforms, Asana, features a simple and easy-to-use UI.
Make boards to visualize the level your project is in, and utilize reports to keep track of completed activities and things that require your attention using this all-in-one application. It is perfect for small businesses and offers a free forever plan.
- Workflow Automation Templates: Asana offers workflow automation templates that can be customized to fit the needs of your organization.
- Custom Fields and Views: To make sure you are always tracking the most important data, Asana allows you to create custom fields and views for each project.
- Advanced Search: The advanced search function in Asana makes it easy to find what you need when you need it.
- Very customizable
- Great collaboration features
- No time-tracking feature
Paid Plans start at $10.99 per user per month
5. Podio – Best Project Management Software Free Download
Podio is a cloud-based project management software that lets you manage your projects and tasks from anywhere.
With Podio, you can create custom workflows for your projects, share files and collaborate with your team in real-time, and get updates on your projects right in your inbox.
Podio also offers a variety of free and paid add-ons that give you additional features and functionality, such as time tracking, invoicing, and task management. You can also create your own custom apps to fit your specific needs.
- Add-ons: Podio offers a variety of free and paid add-ons that give you additional features and functionality, such as time tracking, invoicing, and task management.
- Custom Workflows: With Podio, you can create custom workflows for your projects, share files and collaborate with your team in real-time, and get updates on your projects right in your inbox.
- Apps: You can also create your own custom apps to fit your specific needs.
- Easy administration
- Fast collaboration
- Very customizable
- Not for beginners
Starts at $7.20
6. Trello – Best Kanban Board Interface
Trello is a project management software that is both powerful and easy to use. It offers a visual way to organize your projects by creating boards with cards that can be moved around.
You can create different boards for different projects and add cards to each board with all the information you need about the project.
- Kanban Boards: Trello’s boards are based on the Kanban methodology, which offers a visual way to track your progress and prioritize your work.
- Drag and Drop: You can easily move cards around on your board by dragging and dropping them. This makes it easy to rearrange your project as needed.
- Notes and Attachments: You can add notes and attachments to cards to provide more information about the project.
- Easy to Use
- Multiple Users
- Limited Features for Free Users
Starts at $10.00 per user per month
7. nTask – Best For Multiple Projects Creation
nTask is a powerful and easy-to-use project management software that is completely free to use. It allows you to manage your projects, tasks, and team members effortlessly. nTask has an intuitive interface that makes it easy for you to get started.
You can create projects and tasks, assign them to team members, set deadlines, and track progress. nTask also provides a variety of reports that allow you to see how your projects are progressing.
- Task Prioritization: You can easily prioritize your tasks based on importance and urgency.
- Dependencies: You can create dependencies between tasks to ensure that they are completed in the correct order.
- 3rd Party Apps: You can connect nTask with a variety of 3rd party apps, including Dropbox, Google Drive, and Asana. This allows you to easily import tasks from these apps into nTask.
- Easily project management
- Task tracking
- Gantt Charts
- Advanced reporting tools
$2.99 per user per month
8. MeisterTask – Best Visual Project Management Software
MeisterTask is a project management software that lets you build Kanban boards, assign recurring tasks, track project timelines, and add custom data. You can easily connect from other apps like Trello and Asana effortlessly, helping you to get right to work without wasting time.
- Kanban Boards: MeisterTask provides a powerful Kanban Board feature that allows you to visualize your tasks and workflow.
- File Attachments: You can attach files to tasks, and team members can access them from within MeisterTask.
- Project Icons: You can assign icons to your projects to help you visualize them at a glance.
- Very visual UI
- Intuitive and easy to use
- Free to use
- No invoice or billing features
Starts at $8.25 per user per month
9. Freedcamp – Best Software With Powerful Features
Designed for professional and personal use, Freedcamp is a project management software that comes with all the features you need to get the most out of your projects. From task management and collaboration to file sharing and communication, Freedcamp has got you covered.
One of the best things about Freedcamp is that it’s free! There are no hidden fees or subscriptions, and you can use it for as long as you like. Freedcamp also offers a wide range of features, making it the perfect solution for any project.
- Message Board: The message board is a great way to communicate with your team. You can post updates, questions and ideas and get feedback from your team members.
- Calendar: The calendar feature allows you to keep track of deadlines and important dates. You can also add events to the calendar and invite team members to attend.
- Task Management: The task management feature allows you to create tasks, assign them to team members and track their progress. You can also add notes and comments to tasks for more clarification.
- Feature-rich platform
- Low upgrade pricing
- No hidden fees or subscriptions
- Not suitable for small teams
$1.49 per user per month
10. Toggl Plan – Best Project Management Software for Free with Time Tracking
This software is great for task visualization and easy project delegation. It has a very user-friendly interface and makes task visualization easy.
You can easily delegate tasks to different team members and track their progress. The software also integrates with other popular software such as Asana, Trello, and Google Drive.
- Gantt Charts: This feature makes it easy to visualize your project schedule and track progress.
- Resource Management: You can easily track who is working on what task and how much time they are spending on it.
- Integrations: The software integrates with other popular software such as Slack. Asana, Trello, and Google Drive.
- Great for improving productivity
- Intuitive UI
- Tracking report
- Expensive paid plans
Paid plans start at $13.35 per user per month
How to Choose Free Project Management Software | Factors to consider
Project management software can be incredibly helpful for individuals and businesses alike; however, there are a few factors you should consider before settling on a free option.
1. Project Size
Depending on the size of your project, you may need more robust features than what free software can offer. If you’re working on a small project with a limited number of team members, you may be able to get away with using a free tool.
But if your project is large and complex or has a lot of team members, you’ll likely need a more comprehensive software package.
2. Features and Flexibility
Most free project management software packages have limited features when compared to their paid counterparts. Make sure the software you choose has all the features you need to manage your project effectively.
Additionally, be sure to check that the software is flexible enough to accommodate your team’s work style.
3. Ease of Use
Project management software can be complicated and overwhelming if you’re not used to using it. Make sure the software you choose is easy to learn and use, or you may quickly become frustrated.
4. Customer Support
If you run into any problems using the software, it’s important to have access to customer support. Unfortunately, most free project management software packages do not offer this type of support. Be sure to check before you download.
5. Security and Privacy
Once you’ve considered these factors, you’re ready to start shopping for a free project management software package.
Free PM Tools FAQs
What is the best free project management software for small businesses?
What is the best free web-based project management software?
What is the point of project management software?
How does project management software work?
Conclusion: What’s the Best Free Project Management Software?
In 2023, our pick for the best free project management software is Monday. It has all the features you need to manage your project effectively, it’s easy to use, and customer support is available if needed. Plus, it’s secure and private, so you can rest assured that your data is safe.
Remember that project management tools these days don’t necessarily need to be a huge investment. There are plenty of excellent free apps that will do the trick for your business and your team. Do your research, figure out what you need, and then find the right tool for the job.
Monday - Project Management Software
- 100% Customizable
- Collaborate Across Teams & Departments
- CRM Software Integration
- Used by 152,000 Companies