Creating engaging content for vlog (a.k.a. vlogging) is one of the fastest-growing content-sharing strategies on the web.
To give you an idea of how big vlogging is, in the first quarter of 2023, these were the shares of internet users worldwide watching vlogs weekly:
- 16-24 years old: 61%
- 25-34: 55%
- 35-44: 49%
- 45-54: 33%
- 55-64: 23%
(Data Reportal, 2023)
In fact, top YouTube vloggers have millions of subscribers – such as YouTube superstar Casey Neistat, who has 12.6 million subscribers.
But what makes a good vlogger? The answer to that will always be the one true king. Content.
If you’re a vlogger, the main challenge you’re probably having is coming up with content that will generate engagement from your viewers. To help you with that, here are some vlog ideas you can start doing now!
Types of Content for Vlogging
Vlogging has become one of the most popular ways to share stories, ideas, and experiences. The beauty of vlogging lies in its versatility and personal touch.
Here are some popular types of content that you can create:
- Daily or Lifestyle Vlogs: These vlogs are like a diary in video form. Vloggers share their daily activities, thoughts, and experiences, offering viewers a glimpse into their lives. This type of vlogging is great for building a personal connection with the audience.
- Travel Vlogs: Travel vlogs take viewers on a journey to different places around the world. Vloggers showcase destinations, share travel tips, and explore local cultures. These vlogs are visually engaging and informative for those who love to travel or learn about new places.
- Educational Vlogs: These vlogs focus on providing educational content in an engaging and accessible way. Topics can range from science and history to language learning and DIY projects. Educational vloggers often use their expertise to teach and inspire their audience.
- Tech Reviews and Unboxings: In these vlogs, creators review the latest gadgets, technology, and products. They often unbox new items, demonstrate their features, and provide honest reviews. This type of content is popular among tech enthusiasts.
- Beauty and Fashion Vlogs: These vlogs focus on beauty tips, makeup tutorials, fashion hauls, and style advice. Vloggers in this niche often review products, demonstrate makeup techniques, and share their personal style.
- Cooking and Food Vlogs: Food vloggers share recipes, cooking tips, and culinary adventures. These vlogs can range from gourmet cooking to everyday meals, offering something for foodies of all skill levels.
- Fitness and Health Vlogs: These vlogs focus on fitness routines, health tips, and wellness advice. Vloggers might share their workout routines, healthy eating habits, and personal journeys towards better health.
- Comedy and Entertainment Vlogs: These vlogs are all about having fun and entertaining the audience. They can include sketches, parodies, challenges, and humorous takes on everyday life.
- Gaming Vlogs: Gaming vloggers share their gaming experiences, walkthroughs, tips, and reviews of video games. This type of vlog is popular among the gaming community and can range from casual gaming to professional esports.
- Art and DIY Vlogs: These vlogs showcase the creative process, including art tutorials, crafting projects, and DIY home decor. They are great for inspiring creativity and offering practical tips for various projects.
Each type of vlog offers a unique way to engage with an audience and share content. The choice of vlog style often depends on the vlogger’s interests, expertise, and the kind of relationship they wish to build with their viewers.
Understanding Your Audience for Vlog Content
Connecting with your audience is key to having a successful channel.
Knowing your audience isn’t just about knowing their age or where they live. It’s about finding out what they like, what they want, and what content for vlog they enjoy the most.
This information is really important since it helps you make content that meets your viewers’ needs and builds a strong community. By answering their questions and showing you value them, you not only get more engagement but also make the experience better for your subscribers.
Here are some easy ways to help you get to know and connect with your audience better:
- Demographics: Start by identifying the age, gender, location, and language of your primary audience. These factors can influence the type of content you create, the style of your presentation, and even the platforms you choose to share your vlogs on.
- Interests and Preferences: Understand what your audience is passionate about. Are they interested in travel, technology, fashion, or fitness? Knowing their interests helps tailor your content to keep it engaging and relevant.
- Engagement Patterns: Pay attention to how your audience interacts with your vlogs. Which videos get the most views, likes, or comments? Analyzing engagement patterns can give you insights into what content resonates most with your viewers.
- Feedback and Comments: Regularly read and respond to comments on your vlogs. Viewer feedback is a goldmine of information about what your audience likes and dislikes, as well as what they hope to see in future content.
- Trends and Current Events: Stay updated with trends and events that your audience cares about. Incorporating current topics can make your vlogs more relatable and timely.
- Viewer Surveys and Polls: Don’t hesitate to directly ask your audience what they want. Use surveys or polls to gather opinions about your content, or to get vlog ideas for future videos.
- Social Media Insights: Use analytics tools on social media and video platforms to gain deeper insights into your audience’s behavior, such as peak viewing times, viewer retention rates, and demographic breakdowns.
- Competitor Analysis: Look at what similar vloggers in your niche are doing. Understanding why their content is successful can provide valuable lessons on audience preferences and content strategies.
- Personal Connection: Share your own stories and experiences. Personal anecdotes can help build a stronger connection with your audience, making them more invested in your content.
- Adapt and Evolve: Be open to evolving your content based on audience feedback and changing trends. The ability to adapt is crucial in maintaining a relevant and engaging vlog.
- Do an FAQ video: This will help you engage new and existing subscribers because they want to know more about you. So make a compilation of the questions that your followers ask often and put them in one video! Plus, this can be perennial content that you can share over and over again.
- Feature one of your subscribers: Show how much you value your audience by featuring one of them! Choose one that lives within your proximity so you can easily go to their place and vlog about what their day is like. Think of it as an appreciation post for your most loyal subscribers.
Remember, the key to a successful vlog is not just about consistently posting content, but also about creating content that resonates with and adds value to your audience.
By understanding your audience, you can create more targeted, engaging, and successful vlogs.
Experimenting with Content for Vlogging
Jumping into vlogging takes a bit of boldness and a lot of creative ideas.
It’s all about making things new and fun for your viewers! Trying out different content for vlog helps you find out what your audience likes and what makes them subscribe.
Whether it’s trying something for the first time, showing a bit of your everyday life, or taking on the newest trends, mixing up your content and keeping it real are key to keeping your viewers coming back for more.
So, let’s look at some cool and fun vlog ideas to mix up your content:
- Try something for the first time. It could be food, makeup, sport, or any experience – just try something you haven’t done before. This will show a lot of unscripted and candid reactions that your viewers will definitely love. Remember that authenticity is one of the marks of a great vlogger.
- Show what’s in your bag or closet. Invite your viewers to take a peek inside your purse or your closet. It’s always fun to share your must-haves because it shows them what you like and what you value most without being too serious. You will be surprised how many followers you will engage, particularly those who have the same stuff or style as yours!
- Take on a trending challenge. There is always a challenge floating around on social media. Choose the one that excites you the most, and do it! Prepare to be embarrassed! Just keep in mind that you’re doing this for fun and make it spontaneous. And if you ever decide to edit it, share the outtakes of the video!
Incorporating Variety in Content for Vlog
Keeping things varied and interesting is key to keeping viewers coming back to your vlog.
Mixing in interviews, how-to videos, talks about serious stuff, and event reviews can make your channel a go-to place for fun and learning. This mix shows off the many sides of you and meets different viewer likes.
Let’s look at some ways to add different types of content for vlog, making sure your channel stays lively and fun for everyone:
- Conduct an interview. That person can either be a family member, friend, influencer, or just some ordinary Joe that you met in a store. Featuring other people will add variety to your content. Make sure you highlight what makes that person special so that he or she will have a connection with your audience.
- Make a tutorial. Tutorial videos, in general, garner a lot of views. Share your insights by making an instructional video on your expertise. This type of content also strengthens your brand credibility. Moreover, it shows your subscribers that you are there to add more value to their lives.
- Talk about something serious. It could be about a cause you’re passionate about, a difficult experience you overcame, or a current issue you want to discuss. This will show a different side of you. It will show your honesty, vulnerability, and strength. Doing a vlog like this can be very empowering not only for you but also for your viewers.
- Attend an event and review it. Take your viewers out to a special event and review it right after. Take them through your preparations and VIP accesses (if you have any). Make an honest review about the event and share your experience with your subscribers, including some dos and don’ts. More importantly, make a recommendation on whether they should go or not.
- Behind-the-Scenes Footage: Give your viewers a sneak peek into your life behind the camera. This could include your video editing process, how you plan your content, or even a day in your life when you’re not vlogging. This type of content helps in building a more personal connection with your audience.
- Collaborations with Other Vloggers: Collaborate with other vloggers or influencers. This not only brings variety to your content but also helps you reach a new audience. Collaborations can be anything from joint vlogs, challenges, or discussions on topics of mutual interest.
- Product Reviews and Unboxings: If it fits your niche, doing product reviews or unboxing videos can be very engaging. Whether it’s tech gadgets, books, beauty products, or any other items, your honest opinions can help guide your viewers’ purchasing decisions.
- Challenge Videos: Participate in or create your own unique challenges. These are often fun, engaging, and have the potential to go viral. Challenges also encourage viewer participation and interaction.
- Storytime Videos: Share interesting or impactful stories from your life. These could be funny anecdotes, life lessons, or inspirational stories. Storytime videos can be very engaging and help in building a narrative around your personal brand.
- Live Streaming: Go live occasionally to interact with your audience in real-time. You can host Q&A sessions, give live updates, or just have casual conversations. Live streaming can significantly boost engagement.
- Travel Vlogs: If you travel, take your audience with you. Share your experiences, the local culture, food, and sights. Travel vlogs are not only visually appealing but also provide a sense of adventure to your viewers.
- Guest Appearances: Invite guests to your vlog. They could be experts in a particular field, celebrities, or even people from your community. Interviews or discussions with guests can provide fresh perspectives and insights.
- Community Involvement: Engage in community service or social causes and document these experiences. This not only shows a different side of you but also encourages your viewers to be socially responsible.
Creative and Budget-Friendly Content for Vlogging
Making fun and interesting content doesn’t have to be expensive! With some creativity and resourceful thinking, you can make content for vlog that’s easy on the wallet but still super enjoyable and helpful for your viewers. Whether it’s doing something cool on a tight budget, comparing old and new stuff, or giving ideas for gifts, there are lots of ways to keep your content fresh and relatable. Let’s check out some creative and budget-friendly ideas for your vlog content:
- Have a “cheap” day. That means you do something with a limited budget. For example, buy a gift for your partner for only $5, or eat out the whole day with only $10 in your wallet. It will definitely be challenging, but it’s worth the adventure! Your viewers will definitely enjoy watching you stretch your budget.
- Compare something old and new. It can be a gadget, appliance, place, packaging—anything that has distinct changes. Highlight the good and the bad of each item. You can even do a vlog series on this and categorize it! You can also invite people who can share about their experience with the older stuff and let them try out the new ones!
- Make gift suggestions. From birthdays to anniversaries, graduation, Mother’s/Father’s Day, and holidays, create a vlog on gift suggestions to help your subscribers pick the perfect present. This can be perennial content that you can share yearly. It’s also a good opportunity for tie-ups with certain brands.
Exploring Local and Cultural Vlogging Content
Exploring local cultures and trying out regional dishes can turn your vlog into a hub of diverse experiences!
This type of content for vlog is more than just a treat for the senses.
It’s a celebration of the variety of traditions and tastes worldwide. Whether it’s a hidden spot in your city or a famous dish from abroad, showing local and cultural content makes your vlog lively and colorful.
- Check out local markets, festivals, and food places. Share the stories of traditions, the people you meet, and the tastes you try. This brings depth and realness to your content, making it more relatable and engaging for your viewers. It’s a way to educate, entertain, and inspire by showing the unique and diverse aspects of each place and its people.
- Explore historical sites, museums, and landmarks. Learn about the history, architecture, and importance of each place, uncovering the stories and legends that have shaped the community. This journey into heritage and culture brings a valuable educational aspect to your content for vlog, encouraging viewers to learn and value the past and how it shapes today. It’s a chance to show the variety of cultural heritage and build a deeper understanding and respect for different societies and what they bring to the world.
- Local Events and Festivals: Attend local events, festivals, or fairs and capture the essence of these gatherings. Whether it’s a traditional ceremony, a local music festival, or a community art show, these events are great opportunities to showcase unique aspects of a culture.
- Food and Cuisine: Exploring local cuisine is a fantastic way to dive into a culture. Visit local restaurants, street food vendors, or even try preparing traditional dishes yourself. Discuss the history and significance of certain foods in your vlogs.
- Interviews with Locals: Engage with local people and share their stories, perspectives, and experiences. This could include interviews with local artisans, community leaders, or everyday citizens. These personal stories add depth and authenticity to your content.
- Cultural Practices and Traditions: Showcase cultural practices, rituals, and traditions. This could range from traditional dance and music performances to wedding ceremonies and religious festivals. Be respectful and ensure you understand the cultural significance of these practices when sharing them.
- Local Art and Music: Explore the local art scene by visiting galleries, attending concerts, or meeting with local artists and musicians. Art and music are powerful expressions of culture and can provide a colorful backdrop for your vlogs.
- Language and Dialects: If you’re exploring a region with a different language or dialect, include segments where you learn and teach a few basic phrases. This not only adds an educational element to your vlog but also shows respect for the local culture.
- Day in the Life: Create a ‘day in the life’ video featuring a local, showcasing their daily routines and activities. This format can provide an intimate, ground-level view of what life is like in different cultural settings.
- Cultural Challenges and Issues: Address local challenges or social issues, providing a platform for awareness and discussion. This could range from environmental concerns to social justice issues, giving a voice to important topics within the community.
- Myths, Legends, and Folklore: Delve into local myths, legends, and folklore. These stories are often rich with cultural significance and can be both entertaining and educational for your audience.
By focusing on local and cultural content, you not only enrich your vlog with diverse and engaging material but also play a role in educating and connecting people across different backgrounds.
It’s important to approach this type of content with sensitivity and respect, ensuring that you represent cultures and communities accurately and thoughtfully.
Responsible Vlogging and Compliance
As we explore these diverse vlog ideas, it’s also crucial to remember that with creativity comes responsibility.
Especially when our content reaches a wide audience, including children, we must be aware of and adhere to the guidelines and regulations that protect our viewers.
For vloggers, especially on YouTube, it’s key to know and follow the rules of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). This makes sure content is right for kids and doesn’t wrongly collect their info.
Breaking these rules can lead to big fines, so being informed and looking to COPPA Safe Harbor programs for help is vital for those who run channels (FTC, 2019).
These are just some of the many of the best content for vlog ideas you can try for your channel.
Innovate as much as you can.
Ask your subscribers what kind of vlog they would want to see, too!
Vlogging will only get bigger in the coming years, and the competition for views will be tighter. Be authentic, creative, and relevant in every vlog you create, and you will engage your audience.
It’s not enough to just showcase who you are, your followers also want to have shared experiences with you.