By the end of 2021, the revenue from the software market is expected to reach $578 billion. The complete digitization of companies and the utilization of advanced technologies to optimize operational performance is one big factor leading to such growth of custom software development services.
The reigning question for companies has always been whether to choose an off-the-shelf product or build something from scratch. Many of them choose custom software development because of the flexibility it provides. From adding new features quickly to scaling the application on demand, a custom software development project is an owned solution for the company’s needs.
How do companies build a custom application that fulfills their needs? This article will highlight the top custom software development methodologies that enable a custom software development company to build high-quality software. Knowing these methodologies will help us understand how companies approach the process of building software solutions and digital products.
But let us first understand why companies prefer custom software solutions.
Why Do Businesses Need Custom Software Solutions?
Outsourcing software development services for building custom applications can help companies achieve several benefits, including cost savings, access to talent, and more.
However, custom software solutions in themselves are one of the best ways to digitize business operations. Here’s why enterprises must choose custom software over off-the-shelf digital products –
- Personalized application
Off-the-shelf is often limited in its functionality, and custom software development solves this problem. Companies can add as many features as they want based on the requirements of the business. Exclusive features are one of the biggest benefits of custom software development.
- Affordable solutions
Custom software might cost a bit more money in the short-term but is a long-term affordable solution. Off-the-shelf software demands regular licensing fees and subscriptions for renewal. Once the custom software is complete, there are no regular expenses except for maintenance, which is nominal.
- Faster development
Another significant advantage of custom software development services is that the companies build products faster than in-house developers. Offshore companies work on deadlines, and their credibility is based on how quickly they can fulfill those time constraints. The result is a high-quality and rapid product or MVP.
Apart from these three major benefits, custom software solutions also integrate better with programs and software exclusive to the company. The custom software development partner also offers ongoing technical support that enables the business to be on its toes in the dynamic market.
How do businesses achieve such relevance in the dynamic market? It happens because of the way companies approach the process of software development. Let us look at some of the top custom software development methodologies to better understand the idea.
Top 5 Custom Software Development Methodologies
Software engineering methodologies or approaches to software development is a process that is structured and planned to achieve the desired result while creating the custom software solution.
Software development is a complex process, and the methodologies simplify each and every step. They enable companies to build products through a systematic approach, leading to better results.
Here are the top 5 custom software development methodologies for enterprises:-
- Agile Software Development
- One of the most popular and useful software system development methodologies is the agile approach to development. Agile is the process of focusing on continuous improvements in the product at regular intervals of time.
- The software development process takes place in sprints, with each sprint ranging from 2-4 weeks. It is an iterative approach to development, which involves cross-functional teams.
- Teams collaborate to build a product that is ready to deal with any kind of uncertainty and can be modified when the need be. Agile software development methodologies comprise of SCRUM, Extreme Programming, and other tools.
- Waterfall Methodology
- The top methodology of software development for decades is the Waterfall approach to building solutions. It is a prime example of the software development life cycle approach that follows a linear sequence of steps.
- The process takes place in phases, and the team moves forward only when one phase is complete. There is a functional flow that the team follows, and no phase overlaps any other.
- All the modifications and changes are done only when one phase is complete. The rigorous structure is good for any software development project.
- V-Shaped Approach
- The V-shaped is a software development methodology example where the waterfall approach has some elements of agile. This method is an extension of the waterfall methodology, including testing at every phase.
- Also known as the Verification and Validation model, the process for the next phase only starts when the testing is complete for the previous phase. Since waterfall doesn’t have testing at each stage, it simplifies the process.
- Smaller teams who have tight deadlines use this approach to software development. It leads to the development of better and high-quality products because the errors and issues are resolved early on.
- Dynamic Systems Development Model
- The major benefit of this methodology for custom software development is that it leads to maximum functionality because of the rigid time frame and user engagement. The methodology focuses a lot on resource efficiency, which leads to cost-effectiveness.
- There is a high amount of user involvement at each stage of the development process. It works on the Rapid Action Development and Agile Software Development methodologies because it combines speed with quality.
- Since the software development project is delivered in small pieces at regular intervals, the time taken to deliver is less, and the quality is high.
- Prototype Methodology
- One of the best software system development methodologies for building prototypes is the prototype development approach. It enables creating a minimum viable product or MVP to test the functionality with the client and then move ahead with the actual development process.
- It enables companies to resolve any issues that might occur in following the conventional waterfall methodology. A prototype helps to understand what went wrong, and fixes can be made easily.
- Prototyping also leads to a low risk of failure as the functionality and errors are tested before developing the final product.
There are many methodologies and software development tools that simplify the process of custom application development. These 5 software engineering methodologies are some of the most used approaches to build high-quality software solutions and digital products. Companies that need fast, quality, and profitable products generally follow these methodologies because they seem to deliver the best results.
Discuss This Article
Add a New Comment /Reply
Thanks for adding to the conversation!
Our comments are moderated. Your comment may not appear immediately.