Twitter Facebook LinkedIn Flipboard 0 Since I was going to talk about the framing effect yesterday (and opted for the planning fallacy instead because of circumstances), I thought I’d get into the framing effect today. The framing effect is a very easy bias to understand, in that it’s not as complicated in its description as some of the other biases are. In short, the framing effect is how people can react differently to choices depending on whether the circumstances are presented as gains or losses. The famous example of the framing effect comes from a paper by Kahneman (who I’ve mentioned before) and Tversky in 1981: Problem 1: Imagine that the U.S. is preparing for the outbreak of an unusual Asian disease, which is expected to kill 600 people. Two alternative programs to combat the disease have been proposed. Assume that the exact scientific estimate of the consequences of the programs are as follows: If Program A is adopted, 200 people will be saved. [72 percent] If Program B is adopted, there is 1/3 probability that 600 people will be saved, and 2/3 probability that no people will be saved. [28 percent] As you can see from the percentages in brackets, people opted for the sure thing. Now, let’s look at the second part of this study: If Program C is adopted 400 people will die. [22 percent] If Program D is adopted there is 1/3 probability that nobody will die, and 2/3 probability that 600 people will die. [78 percent] Did you notice something? Program C is identical to Program A, and yet the percentage of people who were opting for Program C dropped tremendously! Similarly, notice that Program D’s percentage went way up — even though it’s the same thing as Program B. This is the framing effect in action. Is it frightening to you that we’re so susceptible to changing our mind based simply on how a choice is framed? If it’s not, it certainly should be. Ways for Avoiding the Framing Effect 1) Reframe the question It may seem obvious, but you’d be surprised how many people don’t consider “reframing” the frame with which they are looking at a situation. For instance, in the example from earlier, instead of looking at it as a choice between Program A and Program B, someone could reframe Program A so that it looks like Program C and do the same with Program B, so that it looks like Program D. As a result, one would then be getting a “fuller” picture of their choice. 2) Empathy — assume someone else’s perspective Many choices implicate another in a situation. As a result, it might be worth it to put yourself in the shoes of that other person to see how they would view a given situation. This is similar to the reframe, but is more specific in that it might serve to help the person remove themselves a little bit from the decision. That is, when we’re faced with a choice, our personal biases can have a big impact on the decision we make. When we imagine how someone else might make this decision, we’re less likely to succumb to our personal biases. 3) Parse the question Some questions present us with a dichotomous choice: are apples good or bad? Should we exercise in the morning or the evening? Are gap years helpful or harmful? When faced with a question like this, I would highly recommend parsing the question. That is, are we sure that apples can only be good or bad? Are we sure that exercising in the morning or the evening are our only options? Often times, answers to questions aren’t simply this or that. In fact, more times than not, there is a great deal of grey area. Unfortunately, when the question is framed in such a way, it makes it very difficult to see the possibility of the grey area. This article originally appeared on Jeremiah Stanghini and has been republished with permission. Twitter Tweet Facebook Share Email This article was written for Business 2 Community by Jeremiah Stanghini.Learn how to publish your content on B2C Author: Jeremiah Stanghini Follow @JStanghini Jeremiah Stanghini is an adjunct professor of business and management. His primary aim is to provide readers with a new perspective. In the same vein as the "Blind Men and the Elephant," it can be difficult to know when one is looking at the big picture or if one is simply… View full profile ›More by this author:What is “Artificial Intelligence,” Anyway?Do You Have Ideas? Great, Write About ThemYour Invention is About to Launch: Did You Consider ALL Ramifications?