This particular marketing blog was started to address new trends and offer advice to companies marketing in a new age of consumers, digitally savvy and connected consumers. And in the digital age, the rules for how companies “should” act are changing. And the companies that are beginning to act more like individuals, people with their own personalities, are winning.
The old school rules stated that companies had to be “formal” and “professional”. There was a distance between corporations and their consumers. And there was a clear hierarchy.
Today, consumers are on the same level as the companies they purchase from. There is a stronger sense of ownership and familiarity with the brands we encounter every day. And companies can take the lead in creating that bond by employing some common sense approaches to communication in the digital realm.
- Interact directly with consumers on Facebook and Twitter
- Use less formal language in all web copy
- Personalize all emails with subscribers’ first names
- Promote employees and use the real names of executives on the website and in letters and other online copy
- Share stories and content from their fans and customers
- Involve customers in new product discussions
- Inform the public of updates and news from the company in a timely manner
- Do all of the above