Originally hashtags began on Twitter but now they have made their way onto all the most popular social platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+. I think there has always been confusion with why we use hashtags on social media but they are typically used as a search term.
It is important to understand why hashtags are vital to your companies online marketing and engagement, especially on Twitter. Here’s five tips to help you use business and campaign specific hashtags:
1. If you’re starting a campaign it’s important you use or create a hashtag for it. This is a great way to help spread the word on social media and even better, manage who is using it in their posts. Keep your hashtag consistent, unique and try to use it on all your social sites. You may want to think about offline material to. As a brand, you want people to visually recognise you and this is another method to do so.
2. Keep your hashtags fairly short. This will make them easier to remember for your followers and consumers. With only 140 characters available in each tweet you don’t want to be wasting space with a lengthy hashtag.
3. Always use hashtags to promote your offers and campaigns. This is a great way to generate more engagement but most importantly measure their viral usage.
4. Monitor your brand and campaign hashtags to see if they are working and it will help you to respond to people using them, especially if they haven’t contacted you directly using your Twitter handle.
5. Trending hashtags are now being rolled out on multiple social platforms, Facebook, Google+, Instagram and of course Twitter. Trending hashtags are the ones that are being discussed the most. It is important to keep an eye on these if you can. For example, national awareness days and events.
“It is important to understand why hashtags are vital to your companies online marketing and engagement…” Providing relevant content to trending hashtags in your niche will allow you to reach potential clients and improve client engagement.