We are kicking off a fun project this week: Social Media Winners of the Week. Using the technology powering the Awareness Social Marketing Hub, we created a new Social Scorecard that encourages a little friendly competition among leading brands using social media by revealing which companies were the big winners based on fan growth each week. This April 3-10 prize goes to Pringles, Monster Energy, McDonald’s, Nike and Reebok. Pepsi gets our social media thumbs down for that week – Pepsi’s Twitter account was the only social property that decreased in followers.
Since April 1, 2012 the team at Awareness has been monitoring the most socially engaged companies in the most socially active industries to answer one simple question: Who won the weekly social media battle? You can find the answers in our new Social Scorecard, which tracks the social media performance of brands and companies in nine industries — Airlines, Footwear and Athletic Apparel, Comics, Fast Food, Beverages, Celebrities, Favorite Foods, Hospitality Loyalty Programs, and Gaming. It reports weekly gains and losses to Twitter followers and Facebook fans, identifying the week’s winners in each of the industries monitored and analyzing fan growth by channel and industry. It uses this data to identify notable weekly performances and attempts to correlate performance to campaigns and/or events.
The first Social Scorecard reports social fan growth for from April 3-10, 2012. It shows all industries, except Airlines, are seeing significantly more Twitter growth than Facebook growth. It also identifies the most competitive industry/ network category for the week as Footwear and Athletic Apparel on Twitter, with each brand experiencing a growth rate over 1%, leading to a total category growth of 3.6%.
The brands selected for inclusion demonstrate a consistently high level of sophistication in their social media programs:
- Top 5 Celebrities: leading all categories with a combined fan base of over 317 million fans across Eminem, Lady Gaga, Michael Jackson, Rihanna, and Shakira.
- Beverages: follows as the second largest category with over 105 million in combined fans represented by Coca-Cola, Dr. Pepper, Monster Energy, Pepsi, and Red Bull
- Favorite Foods: comes in third with over 86.5 million combined fans across Oreo, Pringles, Reese’s, Skittles, and Starburst.
- Footwear/Athletic Apparel: have a combined social reach of over 56 million followers and include Adidas, Converse, DC Shoes, Nike, and Reebok.
- Fast Food: with over 46.7 million combined fans, includes Burger King, McDonald’s, Subway, Taco Bell, and Wendy’s.
- Gaming: with over 45.6 million combined fans across Nintendo, Playstation, and X-Box.
- Airlines: with over 7.1 million across American Airlines, Delta, JetBlue, Southwest, United Airlines, and US Airways.
- Comics: represents a total combined social reach over 4.6 million followers and includes DC Comics and Marvel Comics
- Hospitality (Loyalty Programs): with over 320,000 combined fans across Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest.
The Social Scorecard will be updated each Friday at http://www.awarenessnetworks.com/learning/social-media-score-card-main. Drop by each week to see who’s winning (or losing ground) in the social space. As always, chime in by cheering for your favorite brands, or sharing your observations and insights.