While many businesses have shut their doors and a whole bunch of folks are out of work, this has given more time for people to spend passing the time on Social Media. They are connecting with friends and family, getting their news, and killing the vast amount of extra time we all seem to have these days.
“All social apps have reported increased usage and engagement – and again, given that we’re all locked in our homes, and looking for a means to stay connected with the outside world, that comes as little surprise.” (Social Media Today)
Based on the numbers of Social Media usage over the past month, it would be wise for businesses planning to throw open their doors as soon as they can to continue their Social Media Marketing efforts.
- Facebook users in the U.S. increased 2.5%, or 5,700,000, from February to March 2020, equaling 233,5000,000 in the United States.
- Active users between the ages of 25 to 24 increased by 1,000,000 users.
- Active female users age 65 and over increased by 6,200,000 in March 2020.
- Average Hours spent in non-gaming apps in the US increased 10% from the 4th quarter 2019 to the 1st quarter 2020.
- 75% of global consumers think businesses should continue to inform them of what they are doing during the shelter in place order.
- Top 5 Apps 1st Quarter 2020:
- WhatsApp Messenger
- Facebook Messenger
It’s a Great Time to Advertise
A few reasons your business should increase marketing and advertising on Social Media if you have the means:
- 47% of display ads have been paused, cancelled, or pulled.
- Over 40% of “Essential Services” Businesses have reported increased sales.
- Cost-per 1,000 impressions on Facebook is down.
- Cost-per-Click on Facebook is flat or down.
- 38% of businesses have paused all new advertising efforts until later in 2020.
- 45% of businesses have stopped an advertising campaign mid-campaign.
- 6% of US Consumers are not shopping in malls or stores (whether they are avoiding it, or they cannot, they are not venturing out.)