It’s no secret – the world has shifted to social media marketing. No one is looking (or trusting) companies’ logo-faced social media channels to inform their purchasing decisions. Instead, they trust their fellow consumers and favorite social media influencers, who happen to have massive reach on Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat, and other platforms. What’s more? Their audiences are engaged and actually care about what they have to say.
Before we dive into the power of social media and influencer marketing, let’s look at the evidence that social isn’t going anywhere.
11 Social Media Marketing Stats You Should Know
- Social media networks earned an estimated $8.3 billion from advertising in 2015. (WeAreSocial, 2016)
- As of 2015, over 70% of the U.S. population had at least one social media profile. (Statista, 2015)
- The average internet user spends 28% of their online time on social media. (Global Web Index, 2015)
- 47% of Millennials say their purchase decisions are influenced by social media. (Deloitte, 2015)
- 84% of social media users have liked or followed a brand or product on social media. (Ogilvy, 2015)
- SnapChat CEO Evan Spiegel and his team forecast that Sponsored Selfie Filters—a new ad unit from SnapChat—will reach up to 16 million viewers a day. (Evan Spiegel, 2015)
- 63% of all Internet users regularly view content on YouTube, though many of them do not maintain accounts themselves. (Pew Research, 2015)
- Google+ claims 2.2 billion users, although it is estimated that less than 9% of those maintain active accounts. (Edward Morbius, 2014)
- 189 million of Facebook’s users are “mobile-only”. (We Are Social Media, 2016)
- Influencer content on social media earns more than 8X the engagement rate of brand-direct content. (RhythmOne & Forrester, 2015)
- Instagram is immensely popular in the beauty industry—96% of beauty brands maintain an Instagram account. (Statista, 2016)
Actually Connect with your audience
Gone are the days of logo-faced brands. People, just like you and I, expect brands to talk with them, rather than at them. No one wants polished, manicured and perfected messages. Ditch the old tactics and actually connect with your audience.
How do you actually connect with your audience and have an intimate conversation when you’re a brand? Partner with the right personalities to spark organic conversations and seduce their followers. Enter: Influencer Marketing. In this new paradigm, influencers are a force to be reckoned with.
Social Media & Influencer Marketing
Influencer marketing often goes hand-in-hand with social media marketing. Most influencer campaigns have some sort of social-media component, whereby influencers are expected to spread the word through their personal social channels.
It presents immense opportunity for brands to take word-of-mouth to the next level (at scale) via social media stars they already follow, love and trust. BONUS: You can earn 8x higher social engagement with influencer content. Get your copy of the eBook: 5 Keys to Creating Awesome Social Content.