Every marketing strategy needs two angles: the data/numbers-driven angle and the creative Big Idea angle. Without the first angle, a concept is doomed to flop. Without the second angle, no one will care about your finely tuned demographics or publishing schedule.
The how-often-should-I-post-on-social-media-for-my-brand-question is informed by both of those angles. On the one hand, a publishing schedule is very data-driven. (Who is my target audience? When are they online? When are they most likely to engage? etc.)
On the other hand, crunching data will only take you so far. Great brands know that timing and concept go hand in hand. It’s the reason why PBR posts an icy beer can at 4:30 p.m. and why Mercedes-Benz suggests a test-drive on Saturday morning.
New Q2 2015 Social Media Benchmarks
Data + Concept = Social Success
That’s the key formula. But let’s set concept aside for today, and focus on the data part of the equation. Brand new social media data from Quintly hones in on how brands have been using social media in Q2 2015. Are these figures the best or only guidelines for determining how often to post on social? Certainly not. They do, however, provide good data for comparing your own brand’s social behaviors.
How Often to Post on…. Facebook
Depending on the size of your Facebook page…
- 1-1k fans: .23 times per day
- 1k-10k fans: .7 times per day
- 10k-100k fans: 1.6 times per day
- 100k-1m fans: 4.07 times per day
- 1m-10m fans: 7.8 times per day
- 10m+ fans: 5.07 times per day
How Often to Post on… Instagram
Depending on the size of your Instagram account…
- 1-1k followers: .33 times per day
- 1k-10k followers: .77 times per day
- 10k-100k followers: 1.53 times per day
- 100k-1m followers: 2.27 times per day
- 1m-10m followers: 2.63 times per day
- 10m+ followers: 2.47 times per day
How Often to Post on… Twitter
Depending on the number of your Twitter followers…
- 1-1k followers: 1.13 times per day
- 1k-10k followers: 2.43 times per day
- 10k-100k followers: 5.53 times per day
- 100k-1m followers: 12.60 times per day
- 1m-10m followers: 22.03 times per day
- 10m+ followers: 10.63 times per day
How Is Your Brand Doing On Social?
Use the infographic below to compare your brand’s activity and engagement (based on the size of your accounts) against the average. Remember, quality will always win out over quantity. If you’re looking for some ideas for posting great content that’s valuable to your audience, start here.