brandonvictordixon

“Hamilton” star Brandon Victor Dixon is setting the record straight on the controversy surrounding vice president-elect Mike Pence’s visit to the show on Friday night. The actor, who plays Aaron Burr, appeared on CBS This Morning to address the comments made by Donald Trump in the wake of the Nov. 18 statement to Pence.

The president-elect tweeted over the weekend that Pence was “harassed” by the cast, calling for an apology from the hit Broadway musical, which he called “highly overrated.” Pence was greeted by boos from the audience upon entering the Richard Rodgers Theatre and the cast of “Hamilton” later delivered a message at curtain call while Pence was exiting the theatre. Dixon told the hosts of CBS This Morning that “there’s nothing to apologize for” and even welcomed Trump to come see the show for himself.

“The power of our show and the way we tell it is undeniable,” Dixon said. He also called for a message of “love and unity” to be spread, while also encouraging further conversation about the topics he addressed in the statement. “It was the beginning of a conversation I hope we can continue to have.”

Dixon later responded to Trump’s tweets by saying, “@realDonaldTrump conversation is not harassment sir. And I appreciate @mike_pence for stopping to listen.” Lin-Manuel Miranda, the show’s creator, also tweeted his support for the cast, praising Dixon “for leading with love.”

Pence told Fox News Sunday that he wasn’t offended by the cast’s statement and, addressing the boos and cheers from the crowd, told his daughter, “That’s what freedom sounds like.” He also reassured people that Trump “is preparing to be the President of all of the people of the United States of America, and to watch him bringing together people of diverse views, bringing together people that differed with him strongly, seeing him talk to leaders around the world, I just want to reassure every American that in the days ahead, I am very confident that they are going to see President-Elect Donald Trump be a president for all of the people, and we embrace that principle, and we are going to work hard to make that principle every day that we serve.”

The statement, which had been crafted by Miranda, producer Jeffrey Seller and director Thomas Kail before the show began, read in part, “We, sir, we are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us: our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir. But we truly hope this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us. All of us.”

What do you think of the “Hamilton”-Pence controversy? Sound off in the comments section below!