Happy National Chocolate Milkshake Day! These delicious cold beverages are the perfect way to end the summer, especially when it comes to anything chocolate.
According to the National Day Calendar, “the first time the term ‘milkshake’ was used in print was in 1885.” During this time, it referred to an alcoholic beverage, “described as ‘a sturdy, healthful eggnog type of drink’ which was a blend of eggs, whiskey, and other ingredients served both as a tonic and treat at pharmacies.”
By the 1900s, the drinks included chocolate, vanilla or strawberry syrup and a scoop of ice cream. With the introduction of the electric blender in 1922, it became the frothy and creamy shake we all know and love today.
Celebrate the delectable milkshake with these recipes that go beyond just plain ice cream and chocolate syrup.
1. Classic Chocolate Milkshake
- 4 scoop vanilla ice cream
- ¾ c. milk
- ¼ c. chocolate syrup
- In blender, combine ice cream, milk, and chocolate syrup and blend until mixture is smooth and frothy. Pour into 2 tall glasses.
2. Chocolate Cherry Milkshake
- 8 maraschino cherries, stems removed
- Whipped topping & additional cherry (optional)
- 3/4 cup cold milk
- 1/4 cup HERSHEY’S Syrup
- 4 scoops (about 2 cups) vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Place ice cream, milk, syrup and cherries in blender container. Cover; blend until smooth.
- Garnish with whipped topping and cherry, if desired. Two 10-oz. servings.
3. Triple Chocolate Slush
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 2 cups premium vanilla ice cream
- Chocolate syrup
- Garnishes: whipped cream, shaved chocolate
- Combine milk and sugar in a small saucepan, and cook over medium heat, stirring often, 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Remove pan from heat, and add chocolate and cocoa powder. Let stand 5 minutes; whisk until smooth. Let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Combine ice cubes, milk mixture, and ice cream in a blender, and process until smooth and slushy. Pour chocolate syrup down the insides of 4 glasses; pour in iced chocolate. Garnish, if desired.
4. Oreo Milkshake
- 3 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 6 chocolate sandwich cookies (such as Oreo®)
- Blend ice cream, milk, and chocolate sandwich cookies together in a blender until smooth.
- Pour into 2 glasses.
5. Nutella Coffee Shake
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Blend ice, milk, sugar, chocolate-hazelnut spread, instant coffee, and vanilla extract together in a blender until desired consistency is reached, about 30 seconds.
6. Chocolate Mint Milkshake
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- In a blender, combine ice cream, milk, chocolate syrup and peppermint extract. Blend until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve.
7. Fudgy Brownie Salted-Caramel Shakes
- 2 cups chocolate ice cream, slightly softened
- 3 tablespoons chocolate-flavored or regular milk
- 2 cooled unfrosted brownies (2-inch squares), cut into chunks*
- Additional unfrosted brownies, cut into pieces, if desired
- Chocolate-covered caramels with sea salt, cut into pieces, if desired
- Caramel topping, if desired
- In blender, place ice cream and milk. Cover and blend on high speed until smooth and creamy. Add brownie chunks; cover and blend until smooth, stopping blender to scrape down sides if necessary.
- 2 Pour into 2 glasses. Top with brownie and caramel pieces; drizzle with caramel. Serve immediately.
8. Roasted Chestnut Chocolate Shake
- 8 Chestnuts
- 1 pint Dairy Free Chocolate Ice Cream (Dark Chocolate if possible)
- 1.5 oz Vegan Dark Chocolate
- 1 cup Almond Milk (Or up to 1.5 cups depending on how thick/ thin you like your shake.)
- Coconut Milk (optional, for whipped cream)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Roast chestnuts for 35 minutes and wait till completely cooled. Shell and place in freezer until ready to use them.
- In a blender, mix chestnuts and chocolate until finely ground.
- Add 1 cup almond milk and blender until smooth.
- Add 4 scoops chocolate ice cream and blend until smooth.
- Add more almond milk to thin out, as desired.
- Top with coconut cream, and chocolate drizzle, if desired.
- Garnish with chocolate chunks.
9. Malted Chocolate Milkshake
- 5 tbsp (34 g) slivered almonds
- 2 cups (500 ml) chocolate ice cream or 4-6 large scoops
- 6 tbsp (100 g) malted milk powder
- 1 ½ cups (354 ml) milk
- ½ cup (118 ml) whipped cream
- ¼ cup (30g) Redpath® Icing Sugar
- maraschino cherries (for garnish)
- malted chocolate balls and chocolate wafer straws (for garnish)
- Place the almonds on a small sheet pan and bake at 350°F (180℃) for 4-5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whip whipping cream until half-stiff. Add sifted Redpath® Icing Sugar and whip until stiff and peaks form. Reserve in fridge until after shaking the milkshake.
- Add the ice cream, malted milk powder, and milk to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Slightly dampen the rim of the glass with water and then dip rim into the toasted almonds.
- Pour the milkshake into the glass, and garnish with whipped cream, a chocolate wafer or malt chocolate balls, and chocolate sprinkles.
10. Double Chocolate Milkshake
- 4 cups chocolate ice cream
- 1 cup chocolate milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- colorful sprinkles
- whipped cream topping
To rim your glasses
- Melt a cup of semi sweet chocolate in a bowl in the microwave for about 15-30 seconds, then stir until smooth.
- Rim your glass with the melted chocolate and cover with sprinkles.
- Set aside in the refrigerator for a minute so the chocolate can harden.
Double Chocolate Milkshake
- Place the chocolate ice cream and chocolate milk into an electric blender and blend until smooth.
- Carefully pour milkshake into chocolate rimmed glass.
- Top with whipped topping.
11. Deconstructed Ice Cream Sandwich Milkshake
- 4 large scoops vanilla ice cream (depending on desired thickness)
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 chocolate chip cookies
- 1/2 cup milk
- Hershey’s chocolate syrup
- Whipped cream
- Using prepackaged dough (or any recipe of your choice), bake chocolate chip cookies for 11 minutes.
- Combine ice cream, milk, and chocolate chips in a blender until smooth.
- Drizzle chocolate syrup along the inside edge of glass. Pour milkshake, leaving room at the top.
- Break two cookies in half and crumble the other. Top milkshake with whipped cream, cookie halves, cookie crumbles, and chocolate chips. Drizzle chocolate syrup if desired.
12. Everything but the Kitchen Sink Milkshake
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/8 cup sprinkles
- 1/8 cup M&M’s
- 1/8 cup Heath bar
- 1 Kit Kat bar
- 1/8 cup Sour Patch Kids
- 2 brownie squares, crumbled
- 5 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1 chocolate dipped pretzel rod
- 1/8 cup Reese’s mini cups
- Chocolate syrup
- Drizzle chocolate syrup in your glass. Add half of the candies into the bottom of the glass.
- Add ice cream, milk and sprinkles in a blender until well combined.
- Top milkshake with whipped cream, sprinkles and the rest of the candies. Drizzle chocolate syrup for an added touch.
Which chocolaty-good recipe will you be trying to celebrate National Chocolate Milkshake Day?