As human population grows around the world wide so is internet users. More than ever people are turning towards the internet not only to just find information but also conduct businesses such as purchasing goods, hiring staff, so on and so forth. As a business owner, you need to consider internet as a business partner since it has the capability to bring you customers. With that said, as a business owner you should learn how your business website ranks on some of the most popular internet search engines.
Now obviously, if you own a small business then you will have competitions. Healthy competitions are always good however, competing with large businesses can be difficult especially when they own websites which can be considered as leading websites in the niche you are in. As a small business owner you must improvise by utilizing search engine optimization strategies to compete with large businesses in your niche.
Furthermore, let’s take a look at five ways to compete with leading websites:
- To start, make sure to publish content with good grammar which also provides value to the people/potential customers that will be searching in your niche. This type of content is considered high quality and usually helps build relevancy, authority and more. When you have a great deal of content for Google to index it will help increase your website presence. To do this, look for new and unique topics using keyword research tools, and utilize only the best writers.
- Go after long tail keywords, while you are essentially trying to compete with leading websites, you can take a different angle to approach your customers. Leading websites are more focused on high volume keywords but there are always tons of long tail keywords in every industry. Utilize keyword research tools to develop your keyword list then use them in your to develop your content. Make sure that your content is super helpful for your customers.
- Build and earn links! A big part of search engine optimization is building or earning backlinks and one way you can accomplish this is by outreaching to other bloggers and providing them with high quality articles that can also help them build their website. As your small business website starts to build authority, you can potentially start to get links from reputable domains like .gov, .edu, etc. Building or earning links are key to succeeding online weather it’s a leading website or a small business website.
- Utilize social media. While you do need to make sure that your small business website has high quality content, which can be promoted using the social media. Through social media you can reach to audiences that can potentially link to your content if its relevant to what they maybe writing about. Social media technique of building links is heavily utilized by large businesses so you should do some research before getting involved.
- Use additional terminology and keywords i.e. synonym. While there are some common keywords that will increase your online presence, you will also want to include as alternative words in your content as longs as they read naturally in the sentence or paragraph they are used. Think of it as simply as you can. The word ‘food’ can also be communicated by saying ‘culinary’ or ‘cuisine’. Usage of synonyms have proven to increase search impressions.
Beating your competitors is not an easy process and it will take work. However, utilizing a variety of different techniques and strategies can help you get ahead depending on what your competition is and what industry you are working in. Don’t give up, the more work you put in, the more it will pay off even if this doesn’t occur immediately.