Today on the Ideasicle Podcast we have about ten creative people wrapped up in one. We’re talking to a writer, novelist, playwright, screenwriter, poet, speaker and creativity teacher, Jamie Cat Callan.
Click on her picture to play the podcast, or click here to subscribe via iTunes and never miss an episode.
Jamie is the author of “French Women Don’t Sleep Alone” and the recently published “Bonjour, Happiness! Secrets to Finding your Joie de Vivre” She is the creator of The Writer’s Toolbox, and has appeared in The New York Times Modern Love column, the Missouri Review, Story and many other places. Jamie is also an inspirational speaker, a total Francophile and an unabashed romantic.
- Jamie knew she was a writer when, as a child, her Barbie Doll went bad. Hilarious story.
- Jamie talks to us about embracing surprise and the concept of polarity in storytelling.
- A well developed character tells the writer what he or she “wants” to do (same for brands).
- She does a product demo of her wonderful “Writer’s Toolbox” extolling the virtues of play in creativity.
- We talk about what creativity is and what Jamie calls the “artistic trance.” (very cool)
- We discuss how rhythmic, repetitive activities (like vacuuming, mowing the lawn, doing dishes, etc.), can free the creative spirit.
- We end with Jamie’s advice to surrender your adult self to playful creativity.