Is the Gigaom shutdown a harbinger of what’s to come for tech media outlets? Manny and Jim brought in March Communications CEO Martin Jones, who just celebrated March’s 10-year anniversary, to discuss what led to Gigaom’s downfall, consumers’ evolving expectations for media outlets and the declining influence of the “gatekeeper” in journalism.
Leading into our conversation with Martin, we tried the Meerkat app for the first time, with mixed results, to say the least. We also chatted about Facebook’s “Faustian” plot to become the go-to platform for all media outlets.
- Follow Martin on Twitter: @mrjbos
- Follow March Communications on Twitter: @marchpr
- Follow Manny and Jim on Twitter: @zmveiga and @JW_Young
- Visit the PR Nonsense blog: MarchPR.com/blog
- Meerkat: The Future of Reporting – or Just a Plaything for Narcissists (The Guardian)
- When Live Video App Meerkat is An Unwelcome Guest (Fortune)
- Demise of Gigaom Doesn’t Faze Its Rivals (New York Times)
- Jonah Peretti Explains Why Buzzfeed Is Happy to Cut a (Theoretical) Deal With Facebook (Re/code)
- It’s the Relationship, Stupid (BuzzMachine)
- Should News Sites Make a ‘Faustian Bargain’ with Facebook? (Yahoo Tech)