Last week, Richard and I attended the HubSpot Inbound Marketing Conference. From all of the great speakers, I decided to highlight some of the quotes that I think highlight important concepts from Inbound13 that marketers need to consider when developing a marketing strategy for their business. Business is changing. The role of marketers is evolving. We have to constantly be evolving.
Here are 11 morsels of wisdom from Inbound13 that should shape your marketing strategy:
1. “Instead of interrupting, work on attracting.” – Dharmesh Shah
- Think about your current marketing strategy – do your tactics focus on interrupting, or attracting?
- Are you giving consumers a reason to come to you?
- Are you providing value to customers and prospects?
2. “We’ve given everyone a remote control. We’ve said to everybody that you don’t have to listen if you don’t want to. You cannot buy your way to share your voice. If you’re an old school marketer who thinks you can buy attention, we need to take a moment to mourn that.” – Seth Godin
- Are you still relying on old school marketing tactics that require buying into the customer’s attention?
- If you’re not sure how to get attention from your prospects without buying it, you need a marketing strategy. Don’t be afraid to seek help.
3. “If you’re going to spend thousands of dollars on advertising why wouldn’t you let it get shares on social?” – Rand Fishkin
- Make the most of your marketing spend.
- See social as an opportunity to maximize your reach in a relatively economical way.
4. “The hard part isn’t making brisket, it is finding people to trust you to make brisket.” – Seth Godin
- Is what you do really that revolutionary? Chances are, other companies can provide the same (or similar) benefits. You have to give them a reason to do business with you beyond the face value of the product or service.
- People do business with people they know, like, and trust.
5. “Instead of coercing, focus on connecting.” – Dharmesh Shah
- Is your marketing strategy focused on how you can corral new customers?
- What are you doing to make meaningful connections with prospects?
6. “Success is not a straight line, it’s much more of a dance and being open to possibilities.” – Arianna Huffington
- Stop being so rigid.
- If you want to succeed, you have to have an open mind. How many of your agency’s ideas have you shot down quickly before giving them a chance?
7. “There are many terrible things in my life, but most of them never happened.” – Michel de Montaigne
- Are you so focused on what could go wrong that you’re missing out on opportunities?
8. “There’s so much risk in picking just one thing – we’re so afraid of leaving one thing behind that we actually leave everything behind.” – Tiffany Sauder
- Don’t be afraid to commit.
9. “Most enterprise media experts agree that the shift where enterprise websites become buying catalogs has already started. This means customers arrive at the website with the decision made to purchase.” – Sonya Pelia
- In addition, she cited an IBM survey that found 80% of those surveyed said in the future they would make the decision to purchase in social before going to the website.
- The buying process has changed drastically.
- You must adapt to the new buying process in order to succeed.
10. “57% of scientists said they don’t mind being contacted for work on social channels.” – Sonya Pelia
- Throw out your preconceived notions about who is or isn’t on social media.
11. “If you’re not uncomfortable, you’re not being transparent enough.” – Rand Fishkin
- Transparency is becoming more and more important in business today, but many companies are still shirking away from it because it’s uncomfortable and not natural for many.
Read more: It’s Not Arianna, but Close Enough