Outdoor advertising is considered one of the oldest forms of promotion, dating back to ancient times. Together with print ads, outdoor ads have bravely and successfully survived the changes in human civilization.
Unfortunately, when digital media became popular, advertisements for TV and radio became viable options to reach a wider audience. Today, the advancements in information technology allowed the Internet to consume most of the attention of potential customers, making it an ideal avenue for product and service promotion.
So is there anything out-of-home (OOH) advertising can do to keep up? Fortunately, technology also offers a variety of improvements to how these outdoor ads work. And, because of the latest, cutting edge technology, these advertisements won’t just capture attention, but also allow their audience to interact with them.
This means, just as technology changed the face of digital and online advertising, it is also doing the same for OOH.
Technological Advancements in OOH
Advertisements placed on billboards, bus terminals, transport vehicles, and public spaces haven’t changed a lot since the early 1900s. The only notable changes are the crisper colors, higher quality print, and more durable print materials. The usual screen-type ads are also there, but people are slowly getting tired of them, as well.
That is why businesses, both large and small, should consider gaining the benefits of advanced technology in doing their OOH campaigns. Outdoor advertising is definitely here to stay no matter what, but they need to get the necessary facelift to remain relevant in a digital and fast-paced world.
Here are some of the ways technology is changing outdoor advertising today:
- Technology advertising is here to stay – According to Forbes, digital out-of-home advertising (DOOH) raked in $34.8 billion in revenue in 2018. While that amount is far from what online ads earned in the same year, the fact remains that outdoor ads are here to stay.
Why? Because people spend more time outdoors than indoors, accounting for 70% of their time each day. These potential consumers are made up of several demographic groups—professionals, students, entrepreneurs, etc. As long as there are potential consumers who will look at these advertisements, OOH ads will remain alive.
- Ads are becoming smarter and smarter – Smart outdoor ads are already present today, although not many companies are utilizing it due to its cost. These are OOH advertisements that do not only show information about a particular business, product, or service; it also reacts to who’s viewing it.
Sensors, facial recognition software, and other smart features allow outdoor billboards to interact with their target audience. There are also some OOH ads today that use augmented reality and other interactive tech to make their campaigns more engaging.
- Data gathering options are increasing – Gone are the days when billboards only show information, and advertisers hope for the best and that viewers would drop by their store or purchase their product.
Today, Bluetooth-low energy beacons can be equipped in OOH ads to send information based on the demographics that interact with them. Advertisers would then tweak some details to tailor to the needs of the majority of audiences in the location. This increases the chances that the OOH ad would actually be noticed and viewed by a targeted audience.
- Integration between OOH ads and mobile becoming easier – New innovations in both outdoor advertising and mobile technology will enable them to interact and share data, customizing the experience for the consumer.
Some outdoor ads integrate with a consumer’s mobile phone display, while some connect with the device’s audio. Beacons will play a significant part in these integrations for the targeted audience.
- Choices for potential locations to advertise are endless – With the help of technology, digital advertisements can be placed almost anywhere. The connection between airports and OOH advertising has been popular in recent years as it allows interactions with passengers.
Waiting sheds, public transport (buses, taxis, trains), and even blank walls are also ideal spaces where smart outdoor ads can be placed.
Make the Shift Now
As more experts strive to make technology an integral part of our lives, more advancements will surely be developed. Today, there are numerous ways to incorporate those upgrades to both your digital and OOH advertisements—but you need to start now. It does not matter if your business is just beginning because there are many ways to join the outdoor advertisement revolution.
It is time to look for a partner that can turn your marketing ideas into reality. Fortunately, various digital outdoor advertising firms specialize in using the latest trends in technology. Do not hesitate; remember that in tech OOH advertising, nothing is wasted because you continue to gain popularity and reputation based on the ad content.
As long as you utilize the information you gather in order to customize the content, then you’re surely bound for success.