Cosmopolitan Magazine has been in the survey business longer than anybody I know. For as long as I’ve been standing in supermarket checkout lines they’ve been posing, er, interesting questions on their cover.
Sure, these quizzes are not actual surveys; in fact, to the best of my knowledge the results are never even compiled. They’re in actuality a clever format for dispensing advice.
The biggest testament to the success of this tactic is that many other publications, including those targeting a wholly different demographic, have followed Cosmo’s successful formula of posing quiz questions to passersby. Something tells me it’s been working.
So I thought I’d take a page from their book (or magazine, as it were) and pose some self-help quiz questions to DanaStanley.com readers.
Please forgive me, I’m going on memory as to style and format, but here goes:
MARKET RESEARCH MARKETING QUIZ
Answer “yes,” “no,” or “don’t know” to each of the following questions:
1. Is it obvious to your website visitors why they should do business with you?
2. It it easy for your website visitors to find what they are seeking?
3. Have you defined your target audience in writing?
4. Have you optimized your website to make it easily discoverable by your target audience?
5. Do you offer anything of value on your website to visitors (free consultations, e-books, etc.)?
6. Do you have a regularly updated blog?
7. Does your website help build your email subscriber list?
8. Do you send out regular email updates?
9. Do you regularly add new content to your website?
10. Do you participate actively in social media?
Add up all your “yes” answers, then look at the key below to see how you did!
If you had:
10 yeses: GREAT JOB! OTHERS CAN LEARN FROM YOU.
7 to 9 yeses: VERY GOOD. KEEP DOING WHAT YOU’RE DOING.
4 to 6 yeses: A GOOD START, BUT YOU HAVE ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT.
1 to 3 yeses: OUCH!
Note: This is a satire with perhaps a few real lessons mixed in. Tongue implanted firmly into cheek.