As the world returns to work post-Pandemic, the workplace will never look the same again as so many employees grew accustomed to the flexibility of not just working from home, but working from anywhere in the world.

However, in spite of the huge benefit of flexibility, other potentially harmful issues crept into, or increased, in the world of remote work. Namely, reports of an uptick in discrimination, a decline in inclusive behavior, and, for some, an overall feeling of being disconnected from their company culture.

With this in mind, here are some of the things that company leaders and executives can do to ensure that their employees and company culture maintain an inclusive mindset as the hybrid workplace becomes the new normal.

Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Training is a Must

A recent survey conducted by Ten Spot found that while 53% of respondents had been through DEI training, the other 47% had not, with 19% saying they had not participated, and 28% saying they had not been offered the training. Considering that 70% of survey respondents said they have experienced discrimination or abuse in the workplace, and the number increasing to 86% for Gen Z which only entered the workforce a few years ago, these low DEI numbers should be a rude awakening to all company HR and leadership teams across the country.

The primary thing that company leaders need to do – get DEI training scheduled and completed ASAP. Make it mandatory for all employees. And then do it again every year to ensure new employees are getting trained, and seasoned employees continue learning.

Create a Culture of Communication

Because of the pandemic, employees are feeling disconnected from their company, the mission, their job purpose, and from their colleagues, and only 34% of employees describe their company culture as team-oriented.

When the world went remote, everyone scrambled to the closest video conferencing platform. Now that things have settled, it is time to be thoughtful about the technologies you are implementing to keep your teams connected and if they reflect your company culture. Our customers have taught us that companies that are thoughtful with the technology selection and implementation find more success communicating their culture.

Create Memorable Experiences that Foster Fun, and Belonging

Finally, with technology, there is a wonderful opportunity to create and share memorable virtual experiences that build culture, camaraderie, and belonging among employees. Consider what your company stands for and align culture-building opportunities to those values.

What are the employees at your company passionate about? Book clubs, meditation groups, activism, philanthropy, run clubs, or gin clubs? Ensure there is a space for these groups to form using your company’s technology and encourage it. If your company already has these groups established make sure it is easy for newcomers to discover them and join – no matter where they are located.