Earlier this summer, we shared some game-changing facts about YouTube on the BuzzPlant Blog:
- YouTube reaches more 18- to 49-year-olds than any broadcast or cable TV network, on mobile alone.
- YouTube accounts for two-thirds of the premium online video watched across devices by Millennials.
- Time spent watching YouTube on the TV has more than doubled year over year.
So, is there money in it for advertisers? Absolutely. According to Global State of Play, a new video insights report published by Google, programmatic video buys are on the rise and packing a stronger punch than ever before.
Programmatic Video Performance on YouTube
“Of the Ad Age Top 100 advertisers,” states the report, “85% bought programmatic video on DoubleClick Bid Manager (DBM) in 2015—and they bought over 590% more programmatic video impressions in 2015 than they did the year before.”
Programmatic video buys are up for good reason: they offer some of the best visibility on the web. In 2016, YouTube viewability grew from 91% (2015) to 93%. Compare those figures to other video viewability across the web and apps, which went from 54% (2015) to 66% (2016).
9 YouTube Fast Facts
We’re sharing a few highlights from Google’s report below. Scroll down to see more data for yourself.
- Monthly video consumption has increased from 165 hours (2012) to 177 hours (2015).
- Programmatic buying on YouTube has grown 55% month over month since becoming available through DBM in September 2015.
- Mobile and tablet viewership were key drivers of programmatic video growth in 2015. (More on how mobile interacts with the big screen.)
- Video impressions on Bid Manager increased 33x on mobile and 32x on tablet.
- Connected TV impressions on Bid Manager increased 227%.
- 2016 saw a 238% growth in premium video impressions bought via Google Partner Select.
- As quantity increases, so does quality. In 2015, 780 million ads were disabled for violating policies and guidelines.
- 100+ people work on DoubleClick’s fraud prevention team to filter spam and ensure quality.
- YouTube is the global leader among major video platforms for viewability, boasting rates of 95% (mobile), 87% (desktop), and 95% (tablet). That’s an average of 93% viewability, a significantly higher figure than the industry average of 66% among other video platforms.
See more data for yourself below.
How Well Do You Know YouTube Advertising?
At BuzzPlant, we help our clients buy YouTube ads that deliver returns. If YouTube advertising is new to you, check out this brief history of “TrueView” to learn more about the platform and how it has evolved over the years.