It never fails: you get to work in the morning with a list of things you want to accomplish, but by the time your colleagues are packing up and heading home you’ve barely made a dent in it. Where does all the time go? According to Atlassian’s new infographic, most of the blame can be attributed to three common culprits:
- The average employee checks their e-mail 36 times per hour.
- It takes 16 minutes to refocus after handling incoming e-mail
- 10 IQ points are lost when fielding constant e-mail, which is the same as missing an entire night’s sleep
- Employees attend an average of 63 meetings every month
- Half of these meetings are considered a waste of time
- The salary cost of unnecessary meetings for U.S. businesses is $37 billion cash money dollars
- The average employee experiences 56 interruptions per day
- 80% of these interruptions are considered trivial
- Employees spend an average of two hours per day recovering from distractions
All in all, that’s 60% or less of work time that’s actually spent productively. Wow. Check it out in infographic form below (click to view full size, or head over to Atlassian’s postfor additional info).