In the world of the internet and social media, the one constant is that things never stay the same. The same holds true for the social networks we use, when we post content and how content is seen on different platforms and devices. To make sure your audience is always seeing your content in the best way possible, it’s important to format your social images by the requests sizes for each social network. If you don’t, your audience will see images that are cut off and this will likely lower your engagement and click through numbers as well.
When it comes to sharing content on social media, some networks are used more than others. The most popular platforms are Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Tumblr, and Yahoo. To make sure you and your audience are getting the most out of each social network, be sure to follow the Social Media Image Sizes infographic below for the latest specs and guidelines.
I’ve also listed a few of the most popular social networks and their specs as well.
The cover photo for your Facebook image should be 828 x 315 pixels with a maximum file size of 100kb. The minimum size for Facebook cover photos is 399 x 150 pixels.
- Your profile photo on Twitter should be 400 x 400 pixels. Your Twitter profile picture is your main picture that is visible to everyone whenever you do anything on Twitter. For a business, it is advisable to make this your logo. It should be of the highest quality possible while following the specifications of Twitter.
- The Google Plus format requires a profile image of 250 x 250 pixels. Like Twitter and Facebook’s profile image, this image will be seen across everything you do and post on the Google Plus network. So you should make it good. If you are doing it for your business, it is suggested that you use your trademarked logo or branding image so that people will associate your posts on the Google network with your brand.
- The specs for a profile picture on Instagram are 110 x 110 pixels. The photo size for standard photos is 640 x 640. Photo thumbnails should be 161 x 161. You should maintain an aspect ratio of 1:1 on Instagram so think “perfect square” when posting on this medium.
- Your profile picture on Pinterest should be 165 x 165. Viewers of Pinterest don’t go to Pinterest to see your profile picture, but you should still have one if they visit your page. You might be reminded of the importance of a profile image on Pinterest when you get a new follower on Pinterest, and you click on their image to see their profile. You can expand your pin to be larger, but it should have a minimum width of 600 pixels.
- On Tumblr, you should make your profile image 128 x 128. A square profile pictures that represent your brand should suffice. Viewers will see it when they land on your profile page. Image posts on Tumblr should be at 570 x 750 pixels. Images may be as large as 10mb in file size, but animations can only be one MB.
- Your YouTube presence is very important in the social media world. YouTube is both a social media and video platform, as well as a search engine. For this reason, your YouTube images should be spot on. Your channel cover image for YouTube should be 2560 x 1440 pixels for desktop users, 1855 x 423 for tablets, 1546 x 423 for smartphones, and 2500 x 1440 for TV.
- Your standard logo image for LinkedIn should be 100 x 60 pixels. Your cover picture should be 974 x 300 pixels. Your banner image should be 646 x 220 pixels.
Social Media Image Sizes Infographic
The below image was originally published on Blogging.org.