Why do they always teach us that it’s easy and evil t
o do what we want
and that we need discipline to restrain ourselves?
It’s the hardest thing in the world–to do what we want.
And it takes the greatest kind of courage.
I mean, what we really want.
Are you feeling stuck trying to figure out what you want to do with your career? Or is your main challenge that you have a hard time getting to where you want to be? Whatever the case, your frustration is understandable. You may very well know what you want to do in life. so, all you really need is a little help to build the path to the career of your dreams.
Here are a few suggestions to propel you on your desired path:
1. Identify careers you like. You probably have tons of ideas about which careers are of interest to you. It is perfectly normal to have your interest switch from one career path to another. This can happen as your life unfolds. Start with writing a list of those that interest you right this moment.
- Writing them helps to cement your interest from the outset.
- It is important that you include all the careers that interest you, regardless of how others feel about them. Write what gets you pumped- the work that you dream about.
2. Determine what drives for your interest. After writing the initial list, it is time to shortlist! This is when you dig deeper and determine what causes your interest in each case. Be honest with yourself and identify the real reasons you are interested.
- Is it because you want to join the long list of family members who entered a specific career? Remember, this is based on what you want to do. Forget family tradition for a second.
- What about finances? Do you see yourself in a career because of how much money it can make you? Certainly, it would be great to earn a huge paycheck from a career. But think long and hard about that being your main motivation.
- At the end of the day, the recommended focus for a career choice is what makes you happy. The last thing you want is to be in a job that makes you miserable. The biggest paycheck doesn’t have the ability to make you happy.
3. Look at multiple options for getting there. Now, it is time to get a little creative. How do you plan on getting to that dream career?
- Use the internet as a solid research tool. With the internet, you can find many options for embarking on a career of choice.
- The traditional method is to pursue tertiary education. Find courses and degree programs that can give you the necessary training. Having the know-how to go along with the interest is a great combination.
- Look for opportunities to apply for internships. And, it is okay if an internship does not pay or pays very little. Remember, you will be gaining valuable experience, and contacts. Internship tied in with knowledge gained at school will strengthen your expertise.
You find yourself at a crucial stage in life. Making a career decision that is right for you is critical to your happiness. So take the time to focus on each step of the equation.
You owe it to yourself to succeed!
Become that success story and the kind of example other people can follow. Do something that you will be proud of at the end of the day.