I quit my last known full- time job back in 2010.
I was highly stressed
I did not feel the impact of my work. I didn’t feel like I was accomplishing anything in my life. I wasn’t making any real impact. The result? My head was always “on fire”
Do you often feel like you’re going to lose your mind if you continue to work in such a stressful workplace? We all experience stress on the job. It is not unique to anyone, but what is unique to each of us is how we deal with it.
You can learn to deal with work-related stress in a positive manner so it doesn’t continue to hold you back. When you are unable to deal with stress effectively, you can’t be as efficient or effective on the job and, more importantly, your health will suffer.
Techniques to Deal with Stress at Work
When you feel stressed out at work, you need to learn how to harness your emotions so you can move forward. Luckily, there are many ways you can do this; you just need to find which technique works best for you.
Here are five highly effective techniques you can use to deal with stress at work:
- The best thing you can do when you feel the stress coming to a boil is to stop what you’re doing and just breathe. You’ll be surprised at how much it helps just to take a breath and gather your thoughts. In fact, take ten slow, deep breaths, then return to your work. The great thing about this technique is that you can do it anywhere, even when you’re sitting in your boss’s office!
- Take a moment to write. When you start to feel stressed, find some privacy, pull out a blank piece of paper, and write freely for five minutes. Free, uncensored writing for just a few minutes will allow you to get the emotions out of your mind for good. When you put all of the emotions down on paper, crumple it up and throw it away. Then try to return to work without the stress.
- Use positive imagery. Keep a calming picture on your desk or on your computer background and when you feel like you cannot take anymore, stare at the image and imagine yourself there. Doing this for even 60 seconds can restore your sanity so you can move forward without the crippling effects of stress.
- Listen to peaceful music. If you put on calming music when you’re stressed, you may find that it can instantly calm you like nothing else. If you keep the music quiet and peaceful, you’ll feel at ease during your work day. Music is a great way to find peace and lose the stress.
- Use positive thinking. When stressful and negative thinking is getting the best of you, you can counter it with positive statements and thoughts. You can say things such as, “I can manage stress because I proactively choose peace.” When you repeat positive sayings in your life, you’ll be able to squeeze out negative thoughts from your mind, and move towards the positive.
These are five simple ways to cope with stress on the job. The great thing is that you can quickly and easily incorporate these strategies into your work day without allowing stress to overwhelm you.
Every day will bring new stressors into your workplace, and that is why you should have several different coping techniques in your stress management toolkit.
Once you begin to incorporate these strategies into your life, you will find that everyday stress will become easier to deal with, and you will actually feel healthier and more productive.
Which of these techniques can you try beginning Today???
Please share your responses in the comments section below.