Backup Your Facebook Profile
While I prefer Backupify for a ongoing backup service, for a as-needed, Facebook profile backup, Facebook’s exporter rocks!
Facebook’s Profile export tool is a great way to make a “master” backup copy of your Facebook profile. (Unfortunately, it does not work for Pages or Groups and there is no import feature.)
As you can see it’s really easy to back up your Facebook profile and a really smart thing to do particularly before any major Facebook changes (such as converting to Timeline).
According to Facebook:
When I download my information from Facebook, what is included in the file? When you download your information your file will include:
- Your profile (timeline) information (ex: your contact information, interests, groups)
- Wall (timeline) posts and content that you and your friends have posted to your profile (timeline)
- Photos and videos that you have uploaded to your account
- Your friend list
- Notes you have created
- Events to which you have RSVP’d
- Your sent and received messages
- Any comments that you and your friends have made on your Wall (timeline) posts, photos, and other profile (timeline) content
What security measures are in place to make sure someone else doesn’t download a copy of my information?
When you download your information, we require you to confirm your identity before you can complete the process.
First we send an email to the email address that’s listed on your Facebook account to ensure that you initiated the process. Once you receive the email, you will have to re-enter your password. If you are using a public computer or one you do not use regularly, you may also have to solve a friend photo captcha or an SMS captcha via your mobile phone.
Warning: This file contains sensitive information. You should keep it secure and take precautions when storing, sending or uploading it to any other services.
PS: Again, let me remind you that this does not back up data from groups/pages and there is no automatic re-import option. This backup is merely a personal copy. (Particularly useful for clients like those in legal/financial which must legally document such things.)
Image Source: Facebook