Facebook is about to raise $5 billion from investors.
When you are ask for that amount of money then you need to produce some reliable evidence and facts and figures about the current state of play that are accurate.
So Facebook has recently revealed the latest statistics about its business in its S1 Filing for its upcoming IPO.
Facebook doesn’t appear to be struggling for cash as it has recently paid Instagram $1 billion to purchase its mobile photo app business and Microsoft $550 million for 650 patents (that it recently bought off Yahoo)
In a knowledge economy that rewards innovators, patents are becoming increasingly valuable to protect your intellectual properties from potential imitators.
Facebook’s Growth not Slowing
If you have a look at this graph from its latest filing for the upcoming IPO, it seems apparent that its growth is not slowing anytime soon and with over 7 billion people on the planet it still has a lot of headroom for future growth.
This is despite Facebook being banned in China and the English speaking countries such as the US, Australia and the UK having almost no growth.
The Facebook mission which states “To make the world more open and connected” is obviously resonating with the earth’s netizens.
Here are latest statistics revealed by Facebook.
The Facts and Figures from Facebook
- Monthly active users now total 901 million (up from 680 million a year ago)
- One in 7.7 people in the world have a Facebook account.
- Daily active users are up to 526 million (up from 372 million last year)
- Monthly mobile users now total 488 million
- Eighty-three million monthly active users accessed Facebook solely from mobile in the month ending March 31, 2012
- 300 million photos are uploaded to the site each day
- 3.2 billion Likes and Comments are posted daily
- Hosts 125 billion friendships
- Revenue for the first quarter of 2012 was $1.058 billion, up from $731 million last year
- Facebook expects to raise $5 billion in its IPO
- Facebook’s estimated value will be close to $100 billion after the IPO
- Facebook paid Instagram the equivalent of $1.01 billion for its business
- Facebook will pay Instagram a $200 million termination fee if government authorities prevent the acquisition from being completed
- If Facebook increased its current revenue rate it will make from $4.69 to $4.81 on each of its 901 million users each year
- Facebook hosts 42 million “Pages” with 10 or more likes
- There are currently 9 million Facebook “apps”
- Facebook owns 774 of its own US patents
- Facebook bought an additional 650 patents from Microsoft for $550 million
- Zygna the online games company (which includes Farmville) contributes 15% of Facebook revenue
- Facebook currently has 3,539 full-time employees
What numbers surprise you on this list?
Image by WebWizzard