Why Email Still Rules the World of Digital Marketing
Sure, social media, mobile, and video are sexy. But despite their allure, email remains the most powerful force driving advertising efficiency in 2016. The numbers don’t lie. Email:
- Delivers the highest ROI out of any advertising channel.
- Is up to 40X more effective than social for acquiring customers.
- Drove the most online sales on Black Friday (25.1% of all online orders).
Email stands strong on its own. No doubt. But it also plays an integral role in just about every other popular advertising channel.
How Email Makes Other Advertising Mediums More Effective
Let’s take a look at 7 other popular ad mediums and how email makes them stronger:
- Mobile: When consumers aren’t texting, surfing the web, or using apps, they’re checking email. In fact, an estimated 91% of consumers check email at least once a day on their smartphones.
- Online Display: Successful programs drive people to click a link and enter their email address. This way, marketers can begin to build a long-term relationship with otherwise flighty searchers.
- Video: Marketers often rely on email to amplify their video advertising efforts. This one is a no-brainer. Why not share video content via email if you have a database full of subscribers to send it to? It sure beats the strategy of only posting it on your website and/or social media profile.
- Social Media: Today’s most successful programs rely on email addresses to build their target audiences. Facebook Custom Audiences are a prime example.
- Paid Search: Same as for online display. Marketers are wasting money if they’re not capturing an email address at first click.
- Telephone: Successful and legitimate telemarketers need to capture email addresses. If they don’t, they risk not being able to reach their leads again. The comprehensiveness of the Do Not Call registries makes email capture a necessity for this channel.
- Direct Mail: Postage prices continue to rise. Scary, since it’s estimated that direct mail can already cost up to 100X more than email. This makes stand-alone programs hard to justify these days. What’s the solution? Drive recipients online to opt-in with their email address. Marketers can then deliver future offers and communications at a fraction of the cost.
How to Position Your Company for Success
Great! We’ve established email’s position as king of the digital marketing hill. So, how do you get the most out of this powerful channel? You need to ensure that each of your emails reaches the right person at the right address. This is the most important part of email marketing! Keeping your list clean and up-to-date is a great place to start.