The day after Halloween marked the official start of the holiday shopping season and since then, holiday-related emails have been arriving in our inboxes on a daily basis. Why are holiday emails seemingly being sent earlier and earlier each year? Christmas-themed and general winter holiday season emails have higher open rates when sent weeks or even months earlier than immediately before the target holiday, according to a recent article by Marketing Profs.
To get you in the holiday swing of things, here are 25 examples of holiday email subject lines that stood out in our inbox – use them for inspiration.
1. Warby Parker: Cozy up
2. VerticalResponse: Are Your Holiday Cards in the Mail Yet? Get 60% Off!
3. WillCall: Hey, we made you something for the holidays!
4. Chasing Fireflies: Our magical Holiday Gift Shop is open + Save up to 80% in our Halloween Blowout Sale!
5. Shutterfly: We’re feeling very merry. Get 50% off your order.
6. Omaha Steaks: Wanna get the REALLY good holiday deals this year?
7. Uncommon Goods: The Time Has Come
8. Real Simple: 10 DIY Fall Wreaths That Are Way Better Than a Welcome Mat
9. BevMo!: NEW for November! Delicious Wines for the Fall Season.
10. Workshop: FALL STEAM AHEAD: Over 80 classes up & posted, Oktoberfest weekend workshops & CAMP DIY
11. Kabuki Springs & Spa: 3 Tips to Boost Your Immune System this Fall
12. Alternative: First look | Alternative Gift Guide
13. Finish Line: The Holiday Gift Guide is here. Game on for gift giving.
14. Kayak: Waiting for lower Thanksgiving flight prices? Stop and book.
15. Premier Dermatology: Day of Beauty: Winter 2014
16. Paper Culture: Need Holiday Photo Card Ideas?
17. Tory Burch: Presenting: Tory’s Gift Guide
18. Zazzle Inc: Early Birds Save 50% On All Ornaments & Mugs + 20% Off Everything Else
19. Circus Center: PERFORM in our 2014 Holiday Student Gala!
20. Turntable Kitchen: get ready for holiday entertaining: recipes, cocktails, music recommendations
21. Groupon: Get a Head Start on Your Holiday Checklist
22. Travel Channel: Travel’s Best Holiday Attractions 2014
23. JetBlue Airways: A sale to escape the winter weather!
24. Bing Webmaster Team: It’s not too late: Reach more holiday shoppers with your $100 coupon
25. Harry & David: Kim, get a jump on holiday shopping with your Gift History and enjoy free shipping.
Successful holiday email subject lines
As you can see, many of the email subject lines target early bird shoppers looking for gift ideas (gift guides) and getting prepped for the holidays. Focus your holiday email subject lines not only on offering deals and promotions like free shipping and discounts, but also on solving your customers’ problems through gift guides, tips, ideas, extended or special shopping hours, etc.
To give you an idea of the most effective subject line words from holiday emails, we created this holiday email subject line infographic: