Creative Commons is the go-to licensing source for most graphic designers, and for good reason.  Creative Commons has simplified the differences between standard licenses so they’re easy to understand, apply, and use.  But have you ever wondered if there are any alternatives to Creative Commons you can use to license your works?  The following three fit the bill.

1.  Copyleft

Copyleft is more a type of license than a license in and of itself, but you could apply the Copyleft symbol to your works.  Creative Commons licensing is known as “ShareAlike.”  Copyleft essentially means “using copyright law to offer the right to distribute copies and modified versions of a work and requiring that the same rights be preserved in modified versions of the work.”

2.  Konomark

Applying the Konomark to your work doesn’t reveal its specific license; instead, it demonstrates that you are generally willing allow others to use your work, and you are inviting them to contact you for permission.  It’s kind of a way of saying that you encourage the use of your work and will be glad to give your permission for approved uses.  I would imagine the Konomark could be used in conjunction with a Creative Commons license.

3.  GNU

GNU is a host of licenses that are typically used for software distributions, but could be applied to most any creative work.  GNU license are examples of Copyleft.

Carefully read and be sure to understand what each of these licenses, as well as Creative Commons licenses, mean when you apply them to your work.  Doing so will help you avoid any issues later.  After all, the last thing you want is to see your artwork on posters you’re not getting paid for.  Chances are, you’ll agree with so many other graphic designers by choosing a Creative Commons license; then again, you might find that one of the aforementioned alternatives is a better match for your specific situation.