Every business strives for efficiency and effectiveness. Achieving this means not just focusing on resources but also on the business processes you have in place.
In accomplishing tasks that enable the business to achieve its goals, you want your workers to cut down on redundancies, reduce idle time, and be more accountable for the success of the business.
A workflow automation app will help you achieve this, but the challenge is choosing the right Workflow Automation system for your business.
This article will give you everything you need to know about workflow automation and guide you in selecting the best software platform to help your business grow and thrive.
What is Workflow Automation?
Workflow automation is the process of using software to automatically run your business’s processes. Once you’ve selected the right software platform for your business, all you have to do is designate specific tasks and rules. The automation tool you’ve selected will then connect the processes that need to be connected and save you the time used in performing needless, manual work.
What are the Benefits of Using a Workflow App?
There are so many amazing reasons that your business should be integrating a workflow automation app into your operations to improve workflow management. Here are four of the top reasons why many companies are choosing to use a workflow automation app to create efficiencies and enhanced operations:
- It saves time and money: Many of the necessary processes in organizations take time – a lot of time. The longer the time it takes, the fewer tasks are accomplished. This costs the organization money, as team members could be focused on other more mission-critical tasks. When you automate some of these time-consuming processes, like filling out forms and waiting for them to be signed, you save time. Workflow automation apps improve productivity and eliminate waste.
- It reduces errors and inefficiencies: Humans tend to make errors, especially when the task at hand is monotonous and uninteresting. Modern software is smart and efficient. These software programs are ideal for accomplishing processes that are bound to be inefficiently done due to their tedious nature.
- It encourages data visibility and accountability: When you automate your work processes, you’ve successfully made your business data-driven. The best workflow software tracks and reports performance data that helps you understand what’s working and helps aid in decision-making.
- It motivates workers to focus on their strengths: By saving the worker time used to undertake tasks that are not related to their skills, you free him/her up to concentrate in a more focused manner on doing work that is suited to their strengths and can benefit the company more.
Who is Workflow Automation For?
It is easy to think that workflow automation is suited to certain kinds of businesses. The truth is, workers across all industries and disciplines can benefit from the use a workflow automation app of some kind.
From sales and marketing to finance, customer service, and beyond, there are opportunities to automate workflows across every team and department within organizations.
So, as long as your business is compartmentalized and you hope to save time and provide quality, you need workflow automation software.
However, because the nature of work processes vary according to the particular business, workflow automation apps will vary by the kind of business as well.
What are the Types of Workflow Apps?
Here are the different kinds of workflow apps that businesses use:
- Integrators – are apps that move data and information between systems in an automated way. For example, you can have an app that takes the backlinks you earn online in your SEO outreach campaigns and tracks them in a spreadsheet. This can help your marketing team track SEO effectiveness more easily.
- Personal Task Automation – are apps that help you as an individual automate or track specific tasks that are not specifically tied to your office tasks.
- Visualization or Project Workflow – are apps that use visual cues like cards or lists to represent individual tasks that help the individual or team manage the flow of a project.
- Enterprise Workflow Automation – are enterprise-level apps or app platforms that help large organizations with automating critical business processes such as procurement management, approval management, and product development.
Features to Look Out for in Selecting the Best Workflow Automation Software
Again, workflow automation apps are most effective when they are specific to your business. Nonetheless, the best workflow software should possess the following features:
#1. Easy to Use
When selecting a workflow automation app for your business, take cognizance of the fact that not all your workers will be tech-savvy. So, select workflow software that does not require the use of codes. It is best if the software has a simple drag-and-drop feature for creating workflow processes.
#2. Cloud-based System
Another feature to look out for in the best workflow software is cloud-based business process management software (BPM). Cloud-based automation systems have the best accessibility, reliability, data security, and operability
#3. Third-party Integration
Select workflow automation software that seamlessly integrates with third-party applications that are vital to your business processes.
The best workflow automation software must allow for flexible customizations that suit your specific business needs.
#5. Reporting and Analytics
It is important to select workflow software that displays analytics and reports on a user-friendly interface. The data from the software can give you insights on how best to improve your business processes.
#6. Mobile Compatibility
It’s not the best workflow automation solution, if it’s not mobile-friendly. A workflow software mobile app allows users to see their process status and approvals anywhere and at any time.
No matter whether you are a small business or an enterprise operation, you can benefit from the power of workflow automation. There are so many processes and tasks that go into running a business, and often they can keep your team from focusing on the bigger picture.
By integrating a workflow automation app into your operations, you can free up your teams time and allow them to do the big things to help your business grow.