I’ve had an amazing 2014 and have big plans for 2015. As I look back at my year and tweak my current personal branding strategy, I thought it might be helpful to share 12 lessons I learned in 2014 that helped me transform my personal brand story.
12 Personal Branding Lessons I learned in 2014
- Listen More than You Post!
- Social Data is powerful embrace it!
- Don’t outshine your boss!
- Your Brand is who YOU are, invest in it but more importantly LIVE it!
- Social Media can be a time suck manage your time.
- If you suck offline, you’ll suck online but also if your story/personal branding strategy sucks people will assume you suck!
- Find ways to #ShowUcare that allow you to stand out from the noise… (Go beyond a simple thank you)
- Your Klout score won’t pay the bills, invest in relationships and have a strategy that links social goals with your business and career ones!
- There’s NO social media easy button
- Use automation and technology to filter the noise, provide you analytics and increase your post success but never automate your engagement!
- Tips and Tricks for personal branding can be found everywhere… I study how and what football players post on social media and how my favorite social CEO promotes their book.
- There’s no “right way” to do personal branding but there are tons of wrong ways… Find Your Voice, Share Your Story but don’t be Fake as you’ll just look stupid!
Your personal brand like social media and technology must always be changing and adapting… I would love to hear some of the lessons you’ve learned in 2014… Please comment below! Let’s make 2015 the year personal branding is embraced and invested in throughout every department and from entry level employee to CEO.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
― Oscar Wilde