Throughout July I posted blogging tips on Twitter. If you’ve missed any of these then below is the full list.
- 1st of a month of #bloggingtips: Don’t use Uncategorised. Create a relevant category that relates to a topic area.
- #bloggingtip 2 – Use tags like SEO keywords. Add 4/5 to each blog post. Make them relevant.
- #bloggingtip 3 – Is your title interesting? Will readers click on it? Don’t make it too long keep it to 72 characters or less.
- #bloggingtip 4 – think in key phrases rather than key words. What do you do, for whom and where.
- #bloggingtip 5 – Don’t stuff your title full of keywords. Once will suffice. Make your title relevant to the post.
- #bloggingtip 6 – To ensure the full description is visible in a search result limit the blog post description to 165 characters.
- #bloggingtip 7 – To increase the relevancy of your content for a particular keyword phrase include it in the description.
- #bloggingtip 8 – Keep the main copy of your blog post centred on just 1 or 2 keywords. Not too many ideas in one post.
- #bloggingtip 9 – Don’t forget your SEO for your blog post. Get a SEO plugin and use it!
- #bloggingtip 10 – Your content shouldn’t be about me, me, me. What problems do your products/services solve?
- #bloggingtip 11 – Guest blogging on other sites can drive traffic to your website or blog and helps with link building.
- #bloggingtip 12 – Avoid content burn-out, don’t feel you have to blog every day. Spend some time brainstorming blog post ideas.
- #bloggingtip 13 – Don’t forget to promote your blog post via your social networks including Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
- #bloggingtip 14 – Don’t forget to include one image on each of your blog post. After all an image is worth a thousand words.
- #bloggingtip 15 – Keep a notebook handy at all times to record any blog post inspiration and thoughts.
- #bloggingtip 16 – Plan your blog posts in advance and use a business blog editorial calendar.
- #bloggingtip 17 – Write a ‘How to…’ blog post, e.g. How to blog like a pro. Think about your customers, what will they be trying to do?
- #bloggingtip 18 – Write a ‘What’ blog post, e.g. What is the easiest way to reduce my tax bill?
- #bloggingtip 19 – Write a ‘When’ blog post, e.g. When is the best time to start saving for my childrens university fees?
- #bloggingtip 20 – Write a ‘Why’ blog post, e.g. Why should I use a professional photographer for my wedding?
- #bloggingtip 21 – Write a ‘Where’ blog post, e.g. Where can I find organic cosmetics what really work?
- #bloggingtip 22 –What you do differently to your competitors, how it is better? Write about it.
- #bloggingtip 23 – Tell a story, use one of your customers as a case study. Just remember to ask their permission first.
- #bloggingtip 24 – Have you read a new book, visited a new website or tried a new piece of technology recently? Could you write a review about it?
- #bloggingtip 25 – Do your keyword/phrase research for each blog post. There are lots of free keyword research tools out there.
- #bloggingtip 26 – Put links to other appropriate blog posts that you’ve written in the main content of your blog post.
- #bloggingtip 27 – Check your spelling and grammar and then check again before you post. Reading aloud helps or get someone to proof it.
- #bloggingtip 28 – Remember your call to action. What is the one thing you want your reader to do after they’ve read your blog post.
- #bloggingtip 29 – Write your blog post like you speak and give your opinion, don’t use marketing fluff or brochure-speak.
- #bloggingtip 30 – Promote your blog offline. Put the url on email footers, business cards and corporate stationery.
The more observant amongst you will notice I’m one short as July has 31 days in and I’ve only got 30 blogging tips. That’s because I didn’t start this project until the 2nd July so here is a final one just for my blog readers.
- #bloggingtip 31 – Stick with it. Rome wasn’t built in a day and neither is a successful blog. Blog regularly and keep at it.
With only a month of tips there must be some I haven’t covered. Do you blog? What blogging tips would you add to this list?