Creating a B2B inside sales strategy that actually works can be a daunting challenge for many start-ups. But this doesn’t excuse anyone from not trying at all. Every business – regardless of scale – needs to have clear strategies to follow in lead generation campaigns and inside sales solutions because the output from these activities form part of the vital revenues for the enterprise itself.
This post looks at five essential tips from experts at The Bridge Group, a leading B2B inside sales consulting firm, that every start-up today needs to be equipped with to handily face the critical task of inside sales strategy development. We’ve also inserted our own insights on the points raised below for a more dynamic discussion. Here are what the specialists have to say:
1. Talk to people, not prospects. There’s a huge difference between treating your target B2B sales audience as people and considering them purely as prospects. The latter usually leads you to adopt a more mechanical approach at dealing with your audience. There’s nothing wrong with this except that it lessens the “personal” element of the conversation. Even if your prospects are logical business decision-makers, they still do consider some emotional aspect in the process. Communicate how a relationship with your company can benefit them organizationally and individually.
2. Start with the customer basics. This is aptly put by inside sales experts as: “Those who focus are those who win,” which underscores the importance of identifying a specific target market or segment and sticking with it without fail. But it’s not enough to specify a certain sector or area. You have to outline a basic customer profile and work from there, identifying particular characteristics, preferences, motivations, etc. that distinguish your target customers from others.
3. Tailor your strategy. You need to have your strategy designed to meet the specific needs of your business situation. In this regard, you have to avoid duplicating strategies implemented by others, even those in the same industry as yours. Also, your communications strategy has to be tailored to meet the different requirements of multiple audiences in your campaign. Today, business buying decisions are reached through committees and so, you’re facing more listeners, readers, and viewers along the buying process.
4. Be sure to have the right tools. While there’s really no need for you to acquire the latest and most advanced piece of marketing technology, you must have some reliable marketing infrastructure to work with. At the bare minimum, experts at The Bridge Group recommend that you have a working CRM platform in place and accurate data covering firmographic, personal, contact, and behavioral information of your target customers.
5. Hire the right talent. The “right talent” here describes candidates who have the qualities of experienced B2B inside sales pros and have the ability to take the initiative and not just mindlessly following set processes. It’s more preferable to put people on your marketing payroll who have worked in the same sector as your business and who have made and corrected mistakes before.
Now, that you’ve been introduced to some best practices ideas, it’s time for you to have the points internalized and applied to your own strategy creation. Do you have some other tips to share about forming inside sales strategies?