Twitter is something that has just recently started to take the world by storm. Although many people have heard about Twitter, they don’t really know anything about the site. Twitter is quite an interesting site that has just been recently gaining popularity. Here are 20 unique facts about Twitter. Once you are done reading about these interesting facts―you might want to go Tweet a few―they are that good.
1. There are currently about 110 million users on Twitter
2. Twitter only had 8 employees in 2009. In 2011, they have over 400.
3. 21% of Twitter accounts are blank with no posts―get to posting people!
4. 93.6% of Twitter profiles have less than 100 followers and 92.4% follow less than 100 profiles. It seems like a majority of tweets are marketers.
5. There are more than 50,000 third-party apps for Twitter.
6. Of all Twitter accounts, 72.5% were created in the first half of 2009
7. Dominated by the few: 5% of all Twitter accounts create 75% of all tweets
8. Because of a Twitter donation, The Library of Congress has access to all tweets on Twitter for research and preservation.
9. New York has the most Twitter profiles. Los Angeles, Toronto, San Francisco and Boston vie for second.
10. On Twitter, there are more than 600 million searches done every single day
11. Women account for more than 53% of Twitter users
12. Most users do not follow that many people. Only 15% of users follow over 2,000 people
13. Everyday, Twitter gets more than 300,000 new users.
14. At first, Twitter’s goal was simple. It just wanted to be a very simple SMS-text service. Look at it now.
15. The U.S. Only accounts for about 40% of Twitter use.
16. Twitter is accessed by more than 30% users via their mobile phone.
17. Stephen Colbert sent the most re-tweeted Tweet in Twitter history thus far
18. Lady Gaga was the first Twitter account to reach 10 million
19. There are over 10 proposals on Twitter
20. The death of Osama Bin Laden caused the most tweets to date
Twitter is growing exponentially. It is an ideal place to get quick, updated news. It is like a social network, like Facebook, but it is designed for those that need immediate access to news. Now that you know some facts about Twitter―why don’t you go create an account and go Tweet about it?
About the Author
Neltje Maynez is a freelance writer for MyCollegesandCareers.com. My Colleges and Careers helps people determine if an online education is right for them, helps them understand which online masters degree programs are right for them and which online schools they can choose from to reach their goals.