It’s an unprecedented frenzy. Nationwide, lottery retailers are seeing lines out the door for Friday’s Mega Millions jackpot drawing, now worth $540 million.
Half a billion dollars.
It’s an unthinkable sum, and certainly more than most anyone could spend single-handedly in a lifetime.
While “If I ever win the lottery…” talk is pretty common on a day-to-day basis, it’s reached a fever pitch this week, especially after Tuesday’s Mega Millions drawing failed to produce a winner. Dreamy-eyed, just about anyone is willing to offer up details about how they’d spend the money.
So, what will 540 Mega Million dollars buy you?
- An island. In 2004, Johnny Depp purchased his own private 45 acre island for $3.6 mil. If you got a similar deal, you could buy yourself about 150 private islands (although I have no idea why you’d need that many).
- A helicopter. You could have your own personal helicopter (with enough wiggle room for flying lessons and licensing or your own personal pilot). In fact, if the average cost of a helicopter is $400,000, you could have your own fleet. Helicopter rides for everyone!
- A mansion. If you feel like dropping $5-10 million on a house — and really, isn’t that just pocket change to you now, money bags? — you could live among the stars… in Beverly Hills. Celebrities go there to live in seclusion, and you might need to adopt some of their strategies when everyone suddenly recognizes you.
- 2010 Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 SV. Arbitrary choice in a fancy car? Maybe. But at an average cost of $450,000, they certainly aren’t cheap. You’ve got $540 million, though, so stock up! Because nothing says “low key lottery winner” like a garage full of Lambos.
- 3,000 Honda Civics. If a Lamborghini seems a bit ostentatious for you, there’s always the good old reliable Honda Civic. You can drive it until the wheels fall off 200,000+ miles later, and since a base model is about $15,600, you can afford to start Christmas shopping a little early this year. Civics all around!
- 1,350,000 iPads. Okay, so buying 3000 of your closest friends a car for the holidays might seem a bit over the top. Good news! You can afford to buy over a million new iPads! Much safer for grandmas.
- Justin Bieber. He’s only worth $85 million. This is your chance to save mankind. (Joking, joking. And just in case it needs to be said, Justin Bieber isn’t actually for sale . . . much to the dismay of teenage girls everywhere.)
The possibilities are, quite literally, just about endless.
Related Resource from B2CWebcast: PR Hacking: How Ideas Spread And What Marketers Need to Know
And so millions of tickets will be sold today. There’s still time. Tickets for this record jackpot drawing can be purchased for $1 until about fifteen minutes before the drawing, which will occur at 11 p.m. eastern. While the winnings currently total $540 million, the lump-sum payout is around $390 million — still nothing to scoff at.
So tell me, how would you spend the $540 Million Mega Millions Jackpot?
Image Source: morgueFile