Why are nice girls attracted to bad boys? Because opposites attract – duh! For decades, we’ve been throwing around this cliché without really investigating why it may be true. I mean, at one time or another, haven’t we all been drawn to those who are so different from us that we’d be hard pressed to actually find a similarity?
For instance, your idea of having fun is to hit the bar scene and meet new people, while he wants to sit at home and watch sports. You’re super bashful at a dinner party, and he’s the life of the party. You were always a straight “A” student with no “naughty” record, while he struggled to pass in school and spent the majority of his time in the principal’s office. Despite those glaring differences, the thing is, sometimes being in a relationship with an opposite personality works.
So, let’s find out why those who have very little in common find each other irresistible. Here are five solid reasons:
1. It’s all in the science: A recent study shows that females are naturally attracted to men whose immune systems differ from their own. In fact, the more unlike a man’s immune system is to a woman’s, the more likely the woman is to remain faithful. Pretty soon, a simple DNA test may be the answer to all of our relationship problems.
Related Resources from B2C
» Free Webcast: Build Better Products by Identifying and Validating Your Riskiest Assumptions
2. Curiosity: Sometimes it’s simply that we want to know how “the other half” lives, according to Ronnie Ann Ryan, MBA, CCC (known as The Dating Coach and author of MANifesting Mr. Right). ”I am the type that wants to get from point A to point B as fast as possible,” she says. ”My husband wants to go the long way so he can see the sunset at the beach on the way to his destination. Learning to slow down has been very good for me.”
3. New and improved: Having a relationship with someone whose perspective on life is completely different than yours serves to bring out a spanking new, and sometimes better side, of each person. Plus, being with someone who has a completely different opinion than yours can keep the spark alive in a relationship.
4. Divide and conquer: “Opposites can make fabulous partners because they complement each other,” says Ryan. Instead of arguing over who gets to do the “good” chores and who gets stuck with the “bad,” your likes and dislikes don’t overlap. You prefer washing the dishes, while he’s totally fine with drying.
5. It’s a challenge: Let’s face it: they don’t call it the “dating game” for nothing. Yes, eventually dating can turn from a contest into a serious relationship, but it starts out as a challenge to overcome. It becomes even more of a feat when you add opposite personalities to the mix. Bottom line is – the Venus vs. Mars dynamic is exciting!
What are some other reasons that opposites attract? Share your thoughts below.