Project Runway reruns may be as close as most of us will get to New York’s glitzy week-long style extravaganza, but following Fashion Week online has never been easier — or more fun. The year’s fall 2012 sartorial preview kicks off officially on Thursday, and the intersection of high tech and high fashion is more interesting than ever before.
Whether you’re the tweeting sort, a Pinterest tastemaker, or a seasoned web-cruiser, this year’s colorful social coverage will keep you up on the week’s hottest new designers and collections. From livestreams to photoblogs and every tweet in between, read on to keep your finger on fashion’s virtual pulse.
The best sites for essential Fashion Week info
- Hit the official online portal for Fall 2012 Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week
- The official events calendar will help you track the designers you care about
- Lucky enough to be in town? Why not talk your way into the week’s hottest parties
- You can catch a livestream of some of the major shows via YouTube
- For another look at the calendar, check out an alt-schedule on the The New York Times
- As “the first magazine to publish photos in real time,” Now Fashion’s site is brimming over with interactive resources
Top style mavens to follow on Twitter
- Twitter’s sponsored collection of the biggest fashion-centric accounts, including Vogue, Michael Kors, and Heidi Klum.
- The New York Times Magazine’s style and culture coverage @tmagazine
- Updates and commentary from Twitter’s official New York Fashion Week account @nyfw
- Now Fashion’s image-centric Twitter account @nowfashionlive
- InStyle magazine’s New York coverage peppered into its regular fashion and celebrity content @InStyle
- The dedicated Associated Press account for fashion-related tweets @AP_Fashion
- Fashionista’s colorful events and nightlife coverage @Fashionsita_com
- Elizabeth Holmes, WSJ retail/fashion features reporter @EHolmesWSJ
- Official Twitter account of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week @MBFashionWeek
- Follow all Fashion Week-related tweets under the hashtags #NYFW and #MBFW
For photos straight from the runway, turn to Tumblr, Instagram, and Pinterest
- Follow comprehensive photo-heavy Fashion Week coverage through the official Tumblr tag
- Visualize the event on Now Fashion’s liveblogged Instagram account
- The New York Times Magazine has a style-centric Tumblr dressed for the occasion
- Fashionista has collected a list of 10 must-follow fashion Pinterest users, and the site’s scrapbook vibe makes it a perfect fit for fashion
- If you’re into doing a little pinning of your own, check out the tag #nyfw for inspiration and learn how to start your own pinboard — it’s the perfect place to stash the runway looks you want to remember next season
What designers will you be watching in New York this week? What styles do you love (or love to hate) this season? Let us know in the comments!