In this 4-part blog series we are examining a few of the new features and changes available in SharePoint 2013.
In part 1, we looked at SharePoint 2013’s social computing aspects.
In this post, we will examine content authoring and mobile device support.
SharePoint 2013 includes several new features for creating and managing content. For example, content creators can now copy content directly from Word into the various controls used to display content within a SharePoint page. Some of the other new features include:
- Video support, including a new video-specific content type, an improved upload experience, and the automatic generation of video thumbnails.
- Enhanced image support, an important component of modern web content. SP 2013 includes renditions – the ability to store different sized versions of an image on different pages.
- Cross-site publishing. This lets authors store and maintain content in one or more authoring site collections, and displays this content in one or more publishing site collections. When authors change the content in an authoring site collection, those changes are displayed on all site collections that are reusing this content.
Mobile Device Support
SharePoint Server 2013 offers improvements to the mobile browser experience with the introduction of a new contemporary view offering an optimized mobile browser experience to users. This view is available to Mobile Internet Explorer version 9.0 or later versions for Windows Phone 7.5, Safari version 4.0 or later versions for iPhone iOS 5.0, and the Android browser for Android 4.0 or later versions. Additionally, several new features were added to help improve both worker productivity and usability on the device. Features include:
Recommended for YouWebcast: Build a Powerful Network and Accelerate your Growth
- Device Channels – provides the ability render a SharePoint site in multiple designs (i.e. different user interface) to accommodate and take advantage of the different capabilities inherent in each device.
- Geolocation – support for location-based information.
- Office Web Apps – You can view Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents in mobile browsers with additional functionality in SharePoint Server 2013. Note that this feature does require additional software and hardware.
In my next post, we will take a look at SharePoint 2013’s search and business intelligence features. See you there!
Learn more about the technologies, processes, and data resources involved in using big data in our recent whitepaper, Examining Big Data’s Potential in Predictive Marketing.