WordPress Plugins, everyone loves WordPress plugins. We are often asked — What are the best WordPress plugins for my site? What WordPress plugins are a must? Which plugins do I need? And, what the heck does the Hello Dolly plugin do? All great questions, and something worth discussing.
First things first — what is a plugin? A plugin is a tiny program (or package of programs) that adds specific functionality to your WordPress site. Plugins can take care of some of the heavy lifted needed to make your WordPress site awesome. (Be careful and don’t use too many, because that will make your site slow.)
We always advise that if you can circumvent using a plugin by adding a couple of lines of code do so. If you are unskilled with PHP and the functions.php file scares you, then plugins are the best way for you to proceed.
The following is a list of WordPress plugins Marketing Press likes to use when developing sites for clients. (This list is not to be considered an end all be all list. This is just a list of what we use for clients and helps them to achieve their goals.)
Best WordPress Plugins
- WordPress SEO by Yoast: This SEO plugin handles all the technical SEO items behind the scenes better than any other SEO plugin. It’s pretty easy to setup, use and it even let’s you know when your page or post’s SEO is up to snuff with a green, yellow, and red lighting system.
- Ultimate Coming Soon Page: Ever need a quick page just to let your visitors know your site is being developed or under construction? This is the best plugin for the job. Easy to customize and get the job done. (Here’s a sample of a coming soon page: nycmusicreport.com
- Hide Title: As advertised, this plugin hides the title of specific pages or posts. With a simple click of a button in the post editor, your page title will be hidden from the world.
- Background Per Page: Add a custom background to any page on your site.
- WP Facebook Open Graph Protocol: This plugin adds well executed and accurate Facebook Open Graph Meta tag information to your site.
- WP Font Uploader: Easy way to add fonts to your site without needing any knowledge of html or CSS.
- WooCommerce: Turns your WordPress site into an E-Commerce solution with WooCommerce. It does take a little playing around with to get all the setting correct, but out of all the WordPress E-Commerce solutions, this one is the better than the rest.
- BackUpBuddy: Ever heard about the story of the person who didn’t back up their site? (Marketing Press Site Management Tips) Don’t be that guy. Backing up, migrating and managing your site is made easy with BackUpBuddy.
- Gravity Forms: No form plugin even comes close to Gravity Forms. Don’t waste your time, buy this plugin and call it good.
- Instapress: Pull your Instagram photos into your site via username or hashtag with Instapress.
- Social Sharing Toolkit: This WordPress plugin is a lightweight way to add those social icons we all love to any post or page.
For Studiopress Genesis users:
Recommended for YouWebcast: Why, What, and How to Do Social Selling
- Simple Sidebars: This plugin can add a custom sidebar to any page or post. Maximize your traffic by providing visitors a way to get more information from your site’s sidebars.
This is just a starting point of the best WordPress plugins out there. Check these plugins out and let us know what you think.
Have a plugin you love? Let us know what your favorite plugins are by leaving a comment.