For 2012, I offer you one suggestion that I recently heard that I think could really make a difference for you.
At this time of year it is very popular to set goals, both personally and professionally. Goal setting is a great process because it helps you stay focused on achievable tasks that you can track and measure.
Here is a simple suggestion that Susan Koenig -Executive Coach offered to me.
CREATE YOUR “STOP” DOING LIST!!! – Make room in your life for the things that matter most!
Recommended for YouWebcast: The Art of Growth Hacking: Gaining Early Traction by Doing Things that Don't Scale
Make this a part of your goal setting list. Each year some of us including myself continue to add items to an already packed schedule.
There are a number of things to look at with respect to this important step in goal setting.
- Delegate – Look and see if there are some work items you could delegate to another person in your department. Look for opportunities for others to get involved.
- Evaluate your role as a board member- Attend the group as a regular attendee or stop going for a time to see if it frees up time to do something else.
- Home Life – Analyze your personal involvement. Are you spending enough time with your family or are some activities at home taking you away from your family time. (Fantasy Football)
- Meetings – Some places I worked had meeting rooms scheduled out for 2 years in advance. Are you meeting just to meet? Evaluate the effectiveness of meetings
- Project Responsibility – Is it time to stop a project that is not working out? Is it time to give up current project responsibility? Is it time to start a new project?
These are just a few areas to look at. I really like this step and I am going to make a conscious effort to look at this area both personally and professionally. I think it will really pay dividends in 2012.
Picture via lululemon athletica