Everyone’s marketing mantra today is social – social media, social networking, social business….what does it really mean? And how do you actually do it?
Here’s an example from an SAP team who successfully activated a “connected” social campaign for an online event that increased registrations nearly 9X over the baseline. 75% of the results came in the last 4 days of a heavy social swarm.
The event was a webisode named “Empowering the Modern Marketer”. The target audience was the Marketing Line of Business in organizations – from CMOs to marketing analysts – who capitalize on big data insights to serve customers and elevate marketing’s role from tactical to strategic.
What ingredients led to this “networked” success?
1. Activate Influencers:
Related Resources from B2C
» Free Webcast: Strategic Thinking: Social Media + Social Business Strategy
- Create win-win by leveraging networks of speakers to drive attendance. In this case, one speaker was the well-known @robert_rose, who agreed to promote event via his multiple social channels.
- Also speaking was Open Text CMO, Kevin Cochrane. As an SAP partner, Open Text was eager to promote this via their social channels.
2. Amplify Wisely
- Employ hashtags to cast a wide net – #CMO, #contentmarketing, #bigdata.
- SAP’s CMO @jbecher, recognized as social thought leader, was willing to promote the event via his channels, as were other execs well known in the marketing echo chamber.
- 2-3 blogs were written with the event as the CTA (call to action) and syndicated to blog sites popular among the target audience (sites such as Business2Community, Forbes SAPVoice, Business Innovation)
- 75% of registrations came during a 4-day swarm described above.
- Total event registrations were 9 times the baseline event earlier in the year.
What are the three lessons I’d share based on this experience?
- Choose event participants wisely – evaluate the size of their networks online.
- Set the expectation that social amplification is part of the obligation of your featured guests. It’s a win-win for all.
- Orchestrate a social campaign that intelligently leverages popular hashtags, blog tags and abstracts that are easily found via search.
Watch a replay of “Empowering the Modern Marketer”, the subject of this blog, here.