Social media makes up 27% of all time spent online.
Demonstrating how quickly social media is revolutionizing our digital world, that number has risen by 9% in just one year (In 2012 it was 18%). Of course, that time is divided differently among the various social networks. Each network serves a unique purpose for the user, as illustrated below (with bacon!):
Every network also attracts a slightly different user demographic. Understanding who you will reach on each network is a vital component of successful social media marketing. Your target audience will likely shape your brand voice on social networks and alter message delivery. Below we outline user demographics and statistics on six of the most popular networks:
Related Resources from B2C
» Free Webcast: Build Better Products by Identifying and Validating Your Riskiest Assumptions
- 67% of the online population uses Facebook, making it the top social network.
- Facebook users are 60% Female, 40% Male.
- The average age of a Facebook user is 30.
- The average Twitter user is a 28-year-old female.
- Twitter users are 60% Female, 40% Male.
- Twitter users are more likely to live in the city than rural areas.
- 80% of Pinterest users are women.
- The most popular age group on Pinterest is 25 to 34-year-olds.
- Pinterest attracts higher-educated affluent women.
- The most popular age demographic on YouTube is 18 to 29.
- YouTube is fairly split between male and female users.
- 100 million people take a social action on YouTube (likes, shares, comments, etc.) every week.
- 67% of Google+ users are male.
- The average Google+ user is a 28-year-old “techie.”
- 235 million Google+ users are actively using its features (+1′ing apps in Google Play, hanging out in Gmail, connecting with friends in Search, etc.).
- The average age group on Instagram is 18 to 29.
- Instagram is more popular with the African-American and Hispanic demographics.
- Over half of top brands are now using Instagram for marketing.
More opportunities to reach niche audiences continue to evolve with advancing social capabilities. Facebook provides an excellent example with their Page Post Targeting.
Wondering how you can use these statistics and user demographics to your advantage? Contact ZOG Digital today for a social media marketing audit.