The ongoing growth and popularity of social media networks is encouraging companies like Facebook and Twitter to expand their capabilities. These networks are making it easier for users to add video to their pages or streams. Improved video capabilities and the growth of online videos is transforming social networks from places for casual chatting to centers for video distribution.
One of the primary reasons for using social media in the first place is to establish and nurture a community of clients and other like-minded folks. Videos help build a feeling of community among consumers faster than other methods. More people are willing to share video content and there is a personal touch gained from authentic videos. Companies who use real employees in their videos help this process along. An overall sense of transparency and connection with a company is more likely to emerge from this process. Let’s explore the primary benefits of using video in conjunction with social media as well as some tactical tips.
The Benefits of Using Video with Social Media Marketing
- Videos offer a more personal touch. Companies attempting to build a level of trust with their customers find more success using videos.
- Video testimonials garner a better reaction from the public. When a third-party provides a video testimonial, the audience can identify with the person in the video and their experience.
- People are more likely to share videos. Content that is more “sharable” helps a company’s message reach more people.
- People prefer to watch video rather than read text. An interesting video holds people’s attention longer than text.
So, now that we’ve laid the groundwork with the overall benefits, let’s explore how we can use video to extend the reach from social media.
How to Use Videos
Ok. We’ve explored the benefits and discussed ways video helps enhance your online community. However, what are some of the tactical ways we can integrate video within our social media channels?
- Be sure to place video content on the site where there is the most activity around your brand. If that is a Facebook fan page, then embed it there so people can watch the video without having to leave the site.
- Video can be used to engage your followers. Video contests (checkout Offerpop for some great scaleable solutions) are a great way to encourage further participation on social media networks such as Twitter or Facebook.
- Video can be used to strengthen the connection on social media. When someone follows you on Twitter, it can be helpful to send them a “welcome” message via video. This adds a personal touch to your social media efforts and gives followers and opportunity to actually see and hear what you’re all about.
- YouTube is a great place to place a video. All of the major social networks allow you to easily share content from YouTube. Essentially, you can use this platform as a “home” for all of your video content. This makes it easy for potential customers/clients to find videos via social media as well as YouTube search.
Ultimately, videos are more fun and more memorable than text. Don’t get me wrong, you need great written content, but people have always preferred pictures to words. New technology is making video easier to create and upload to the Internet. Video is the future of social marketing and will be the cornerstone of building your online community for years to come.