Our friends at Socialtext recently launched a 30-day free trial of their “let’s all work together” social software (Check it out). Why? It’s an easy way for prospects to test-drive their product (while jumping head first into the marketing funnel).
Well, it got us thinking about the question: how should you market your free trial? And we don’t mean just by using the run of the mill corporate website + PPC ads promotion plan (yawn), but by leveraging social media marketing. That’s more interesting!
Here are 17 ideas we came up with:
- Offer “social sign on” for the free trial registration process
- Add social sharing widgets to your free trial landing page
- Prompt trial users to share via social from the trial registration “Thank You” page
- Promote ways to engage with your company’s social resources in your trial “onboarding” emails
- Put a free trial call to action on the closing page of your presentations on SlideShare
- Create a Facebook App to promote your free trial from your company’s Facebook Page
- List your free trial under “products and services” on your LinkedIn Company Page
- Let trial users ask questions of your satisfied customers by inviting them to an exclusive LinkedIn Group for prospects and customers
- Tweet consistently about your free trial – remember to keep it fun, intriguing, and helpful
- Invite industry experts and special guests to join a Twitter chat with your free trial users
- Write a blog post about a customer success story that started with a free trial
- Incorporate a link to your free trial in the comments you leave on relevant industry blogs and articles
- Experiment with promoting your free trial using social advertising on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter
- Include a link to the free trial in your email signature
- Mobilize your brand advocates – arm them with the key info and turn them loose!
- Host a “Google Hangout” where your team can do a live Q&A session
- Record video answers to frequently asked questions and post them to YouTube
(Any other good ideas we missed? Let us know!)
Related Resources from B2C
» Free Webcast: Strategic Thinking: Social Media + Social Business Strategy
Many of these ideas can be used to promote any of your products and services. So, give them a spin and let us know how it works out.