You may be a great writer, but if you don’t write your web articles in a way that is SEO-friendly, you may be merely talking to yourself online, without any readers except for your mom. So how do you write articles that are interesting, but that also have great search engine optimization, making them come up towards the top of search results for the topic? Here are some tips to write an SEO-friendly article:
- Use a catchy headline with your main keyword in it: You should write a headline that wants people to click on your article. Keep in mind that the headline will do more than anything else to sell your piece. Also make sure that you have relevant keywords in the article that will get people searching for that keyword to find it. For example, if you are writing about life insurance for seniors, use that keyword in the title.
- Use keywords in the article: You don’t want to stuff your article with keywords – Google may penalize you for that – but you should use the keyword that your article is about in the first sentence of your article, as well as a few times later on in the piece.
- Write quality articles: Spinning content that already has been written is unacceptable. The same goes with writing poorly-written articles that are filled with spelling and grammatical errors. You will lose credibility with your readers – and potentially with search engines – with sloppy work. Instead, write interested, well-written articles that are of high quality.
- Use shorter paragraphs: Remember how you learned in school about writing paragraphs, and how sentences related to the same subject should be in the same paragraph, even if the paragraph could end up being many sentences long? Forget that rule when it comes to web writing. Shorter paragraphs are easier to read on the web. If you have a 10-sentence long paragraph, people will stop reading.
- Break up your article with subheads and bullet points: Along those lines, using subheads and/or bullet points can help make your article easier to scan and digest. In addition, people can easily see what the important points are in your piece.
- Don’t write too long – or too short: Depending on the topic, you should aim for between 400-600 words. You can write a little longer than that if the topic demands it, but don’t go over 800 or 900 words.
- Use links where relevant: When it comes to performance based SEO, publishing relevant links will help boost the credibility of your article.
- Share your articles: If you share your articles in social media, you can potentially boost their SEO, as well as increase your audience and add traffic to your website.
Recommended for YouWebcast: Sales and Marketing Alignment: 7 Steps To Implement Effective Sales Enablement