If you haven’t developed a search engine optimization strategy, then you’re either talking about it or learning more about it. Search engine optimization strategies have ingrained themselves within the internet and the digital marketing world. It is almost necessary to work on boosting SEO especially if you’re a small start-up with little leverage in your niche. While a lot of the people who have websites work on their SEO as well, there are many easy ways that your SEO strategy can go wrong. Below are a few pointers that can lead you in the wrong direction, with some tips to that provide a solution.
1) Don’t Have A Game Plan. After all, it’s only SEO. If you do not plan your SEO strategy, plan for it to fail. Which keywords will you be analyzing? How does the competition look? How many backlinks will you build for each keyword? What anchor text variations will you use? Cover all your bases before delving into SEO. Make sure you have a plan that will help you and your business succeed! Any wrong turn and your site can be banned.
2) Dominate a single keyword. Focus on a natural link profile. JCPenny learned this lesson the very hard and expensive way. The clothing giant built backlinks for their highly searched keywords and just kept building them with no variations. This worked out great for them in the beginning. They ranked #1 for Samsonite luggage leaving the Samsonite main site a few results below. Sure enough Google caught up with them and they descended to result #70 for almost all their keywords. For regular people like us, I feel like Google wouldn’t be as hesitant to ban our sites. Be very wary of your keyword usage and backlink acquisition.
3) Keyword stuff till your heart is content. It is pretty clear that your website sells fancy cat leashes, so let’s not mention ‘fancy cat leashes’ in every sentence. If you’re working on optimizing your pages try using keyword variations to make everything sound smooth and natural. Google has made updates in the past that condemn keyword stuffing and unnatural and odd-looking posts.
4) Take every guest blog opportunity. Creating high quality content with a link through blogs is a great way to boost PR and search engine rankings. It also works a little quicker than building links through other means. However, you need to be very careful because poor research can get very bad results. Make sure you are using outside tools like Majestic SEO or Open Site Explorer to view the legitimacy of the site. Also look at PR and guest post on sites with varying PR. Don’t just choose PR 6 sites, add some diversity.
5) Build your strategy quickly to get results now. If you do not build a strategy that is conscious of time, then the only result you are going to get is a banned site. If you are actively trying to boost your SEO then you already are at a higher risk of getting a red flag from Google, which could mean ‘game over’ for your business. Be mindful of how you are boosting your SEO and how fast. The key is timeliness, as well as the other contributing factors mentioned above.